Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1998 Vt Berlina ~ Engine light/oil light/fans not stoping

vtberlina98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Hey guys (I am new to this forum so if im posting the the wrong area please tell me)
Today I was driving as per normal (going motorbike riding with my dad) and on the way back to my house the engine/oil light came on aswelll as the fans I noticed, So I pulled over and just made sure the car had oil in it (I no I will not get a good reading when the car is warm) and just looked around to see if anything was abnormal. I was only around the corner from my house so I just cruised along slow back to my house and turn off the car and waited till the morning to do anything. When i woke up i cheack to oil (it was fine) checked the coolant (it was fine) so I started it up and The same thing happend the lights came on and the fans came on stright away :/ anyway i did somew research on the on the internet and people say its a fuse problem but ive swaped the horn one with the engine fan high speed relay and nothing has changed asdie from the fans turning off. Any help would be greatly appricated.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Is this an Ecotec or an LS1? Sounds like the oil pressure sensor is no good.
The sensor on the LS1 is located at the back of the plenium, not sure about the Ecotec. Block maybe?

30-40 bucks for a new one.

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

Need some more information,

Does the car drive fine
Is it overheating
When to the fans come on , my VT the fans kick in when the temp needle is almost to the 1/2 way mark ( say 40-45% warm )
If there is minimum oil volume or low to no pressure , the engine will first start to tick and rattle loudly !!!

There maybe electrical issues, you should check all the fuses and the relays , some times a relay will jamb in the on position so the fan will kick up as soon as the ignition key is turned on even on a cold start in the morning .
Other electrical issue can be a blown fuse and its drawing power backwards from another feed or common earth ( my hq done this with blown brake light or bad earth or blown fuse , and i only noticed when the fuel gauge would read lower as you press the brakes at the lights )

It could be as simple as a damaged oil sender unit or the wire has come off and is touching something

regards
george

vtberlina98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Thank you for responding, its an ecotec.

gm1961, the car drives fine just has the fans on all the time as well as the oil/engine light. It is not overheating I've checked over all the relays and fuses. I will replace the oil presure sender tmoz and get back to yous. Thank you so much for your help :)