Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2, 4 & 6 ignition lead covering

Gorilla62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Ford Ranger
Today I've changed the ignition leads and spark plugs and when I went to remove the left side 2, 4 & 6 leads from the front of the motor I find the plastic covering needs renewing so I'm wondering is this really required.

It was 4.00pm so I rode the bicycle down to Super Cheep for a couple of feet of this tubing but the store was closed so I've put the leads back on for now without the covering.

What I'm getting at is the plactic covering really required or can the leads be left exposed.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Mine was Missing 5 years ago when i got my VX, changed the Leads twice since then, no melting or drams like that, Just used zip ties to keep them together.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
They get brittle with age. I have ripped it off countless times. Zip ties work.

KustomKulture62

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Specialized Hardrock Sports Disc 29er
We replaced ours and in the order as you, any automotive or trailer place has the covering to.
I say if it was manufactured with the covering then its required in the long term and to Edals how come you had to replace the leads twice in 5 years?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
We replaced ours and in the order as you, any automotive or trailer place has the covering to.
I say if it was manufactured with the covering then its required in the long term and to Edals how come you had to replace the leads twice in 5 years?

Done 100,000kms in that time lol And replace them for peace of mind due to the amount of KMs I do. $60 not exactly a wallet breaker. Replace things before they have a chance to fail. Long Distances for help lol