Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2.5" extractors on a N/A ecotec

ITOONS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V8
Hey guys, seen some debate on this and would like some real advice. Some people have said they're great, others say they wouldn't want to risk the power loss. So here's my situation:

I was able to pick up a new pair of pacemaker PH5061 extractors for cheap, but I only have a N/A ecotec.

When I get around to upgrading my exhaust I will have high ratio rockers, larger throttle body, CAI and a recalibrated PCM from Mace to make the most of these modifications.

My question is, with these mods and an entirely new exhaust setup (including the headers I mentioned above, new cat, the works), will I still experience power loss down low? I really don't want to spent upwards of $600 for new headers if I can avoid it but I can't sacrifice any power down low for the sake of $600.

Should I sell the headers and pick up a new pair of 2.25" headers or give the 2.5s a go?

Here they are (PH5061):
http://www.pacemaker.com.au/index.p...mart_product_id=100&virtuemart_category_id=27

Issue resovled. According to the guru himself:
They will be fine. Lose power? Never. An engine can never "lose" power. It has what it has. What you can do is change the torque curve which will then change the power reading on a dyno. By doing lots of modifications and fitting different components, you will increase your torque, this will again change your power reading on a dyno. But you can never "lose" power.

Last edited:

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Mate, 2.5" extractors would be way too big for the ecotec unless you mean it's the outlet size to the cats.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Even 2.25 might be a bit too big , but if it's the outlet size that's fine , as is 2.5 otherwise , yes far too big

ITOONS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V8
Mate, 2.5" extractors would be way too big for the ecotec unless you mean it's the outlet size to the cats.

Even 2.25 might be a bit too big , but if it's the outlet size that's fine , as is 2.5 otherwise , yes far too big

Yeah sorry my bad just the outlet. PH5061s are what I picked up. The primary pipe is only 1.75" but the outlet is 2.5"
HOLDEN : Commodore VT-VY 3.8L V6 S/C TUNED Competition

So you reckon these would be ok?

Last edited:

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
So these, which are a completely fine size, have been said to *lose* power. Opposite of what they actually do.

Who are these people that keep getting quoted on this forum who go around spouting **** the whole time ?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
So these, which are a completely fine size, have been said to *lose* power. Opposite of what they actually do.

Who are these people that keep getting quoted on this forum who go around spouting **** the whole time ?
Peak power no, but they will shift the torque curve into the higher rpm's on a stock motor, which is usually the 'power loss" people speak of.

ITOONS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V8

Not sure of the usernames but if you search for topics like this it's pretty common to see people say they're too big for a N/A ecotec and there could be a loss of power. I'm relieved to see people saying they're fine

ITOONS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V8
Peak power no, but they will shift the torque curve into the higher rpm's on a stock motor, which is usually the 'power loss" people speak of.

if i change my diff gears ratio to say 3.7ish to raise the RPM would that help?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
They will be fine. Lose power? Never. An engine can never "lose" power. It has what it has. What you can do is change the torque curve which will then change the power reading on a dyno. By doing lots of modifications and fitting different components, you will increase your torque, this will again change your power reading on a dyno. But you can never "lose" power.

ITOONS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V8

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate the info.