Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2.5 months, and still won't start

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
You have got the leads on the correct way? Can make the car very lumpy.

lol yeh i have done that to me mates VS...sounded bad haha

also have left 2 leads off on me old VN and started straight away and ran.....but sounded weired haha so i checked and was 2 leads off ...opps

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
SHE RUNS!!!

Turns out that when I replaced the CAS and the Balancer, I didn't line them up properly. Didn't even think about it at the time. Turned the engine over by hand to make sure that it wouldn't take off any fins on the back of the balancer...but didn't notice that it was shaving away at the CAS.

Shaved away so much (it was only out of alignment by half a mm) that it had shagged the sensor.

Result: The CAS was dead (even though there was no ecu error code saying so), engine didn't know when to spark...timing was up the ****ter...

Solution: Chuck the old CAS back on (I replaced it even though it wasn't dead), line everything up with feeler gauges and everything else I could through at it. Turned the key and away it goes.

Thanks for all the advice. It was while I was checking the coils that I thought to check the CAS.

Chalk one more fix up to the guys and girls on this board.

voxbox

Reaction score
Website
www.doingitwrong.com
Members Ride
VN Exec
haha im reading through this going "i've seen this before, it's the CAS.." :) glad to hear you got it sorted. Friend of mine had a VL with an intermittent short of the CAS signal wire.. that took many, many weeks to work out..

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
Nice work, its good to be able to drive a car that wont stall repeatedly but you do get good at evasive moves

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
@voxbox: I knew there'd be someone out there who would know exactly what it was. There always is. :) The good thing about 20 year old cars is that there's never a "new" problem, they've all happened to someone else before.

rob drag racer

vn vp drag nut
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vp 3.8 with gas new project vn s1 guted strip only
i did the same thing

@voxbox: I knew there'd be someone out there who would know exactly what it was. There always is. :) The good thing about 20 year old cars is that there's never a "new" problem, they've all happened to someone else before.

dont feel to bad i did the same thing only it took me over 2 months to work it out and 3 cas later i found the issue with much appreciation from the guys here helping me out

it happens unless your a totally precision driven person :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: