Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2.5" to 3" exhaust for LS1.

RicheCV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY CV8 Monaro
Hi all,

Well I have full exhaust system on the monaro, pacemaker headers, high flow cats and a red back cat back system. I t has a great burble to it once it's heated up with a great bark to it once you stomp your foot to the carpet.

Problem I have is that it just doesn't have any brightness to the exhaust note, I know that the red back system isn't the best on the market so i was thinking of upgrading to a full stainless system but not sure if I should got to the 3" system, in a round about way this will be louder but will it be illegally loud.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Below is a vid on a cold start, excuse walk around....was getting the morning paper.

Here is a clip after the car was driven for a while, excuse the iPhone video quality.

rhinos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8
Hey mate I would recommend a 3" difillipo or Exforce cat back exhuast. They just have a deeper note to it. And really nice note on the highway with less of a drone than a 2.5". Also really good if you plan on puting in a mild cam later down the track.

RicheCV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY CV8 Monaro
Hey mate I would recommend a 3" difillipo or Exforce cat back exhuast. They just have a deeper note to it. And really nice note on the highway with less of a drone than a 2.5". Also really good if you plan on puting in a mild cam later down the track.

Cam indeed, well I am heading towards the difillipo but I fear the EPA will no it to much.

Kingston_99

383ci HTV2300 blown LS1!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute STROKED/BLOWN
hey mate, im in the same exact same boat. got twin 2 1/2 system, pacey headers and red back mufflers :p the same LOL.

im upgrading to the stainless twin 3inch system by difilpo, also tossing the paceys and chucking in 4 into 1 stainless ceramic coating headers by difilpo.

i'v allready got a quote for the system and will be ording it tomorrow. i can pm you the price i got quoted by difipo.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Also have a look at the kpm systems, they make some seriously good quality exhuast, the same if not better then di fillipo

They are however quite expensive

If you look at a KPM and Di Fillipo system side by side, the KPM sh1ts all over the Di Fillipo in build quality. I've never heard a bad word about KPM, but a fair bit of negative feedback about the other.

LS1FUN

Confused with life..
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Holden VS S-Pack
hey mate, im in the same exact same boat. got twin 2 1/2 system, pacey headers and red back mufflers :p the same LOL.

im upgrading to the stainless twin 3inch system by difilpo, also tossing the paceys and chucking in 4 into 1 stainless ceramic coating headers by difilpo.

i'v allready got a quote for the system and will be ording it tomorrow. i can pm you the price i got quoted by difipo.
Is that the Big Boy System? A dude who I work with has the Big Boy System on his XR8 and it sounds off its head, like insanely nuts. Love it.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
If you look at a KPM and Di Fillipo system side by side, the KPM sh1ts all over the Di Fillipo in build quality. I've never heard a bad word about KPM, but a fair bit of negative feedback about the other.

Yeah ive heard that Kpm is pretty much the best you can get, cant wait to get my system when i get the ve! thanks for clearning up the quality thing too :)

RicheCV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY CV8 Monaro

I have some amazing things about KPM and they are now stocked through Chevs. My question is how ilegal will this be as in volume.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I have some amazing things about KPM and they are now stocked through Chevs. My question is how ilegal will this be as in volume.

Depends on a few things eg. size of the system you get, if you have a cam etc. I doubt many (if any) aftermarket exhausts systems will get you under the legal dB limit.

Another option is a Sureflo system. I have a single 3.5" with the 'quiet' muffler and 4.5" body cats. This outflows my old twin 2.5" Xforce and 3" cats big time. Sureflo is excellent build quality and Greg is a top bloke to deal with.