Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 GAS or not to GAS?

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
hey ppl,
Just want some thoughts on a gas conversion on my gf's vs as the price of petrol is starting to hit as it would with everyone, anyway what do you ppl think about gas conversions an is there much power loss an that sorta thing as i have heard a few stories.?

Gs VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
97' VS S-Pack Series 2
u do lose abit of power...

why dont u just get dual fuel... that way if u want your little extra ummphh
switch to petrol...

my mate has got it, n its awsome...

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I would have considered gas but I'm not willing to give up my boot space for the tank. Can the gas cylinder replace the petrol tank under the car???

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
yeah they can! all government magnas ahve had the fuel tanks ripped out and replaced with gas. cant tell the diffence fom underneath because of the covers

Shivaga

Reaction score
Website
www.bhss.com.au
Members Ride
'05 VZ Lumina 3.6V6
how does duel fuel work anyway. like how does the moter switch? u obviously flick a switch, but whats the technical answer of how it works?

A

AJH83

i LOVE GAS! i have it on a 5L V8 Commodore... i have a dual outlet mixer, with a decent gas computer thats hooked up into the oxygen sensor. i dont loose much power as the computer uses a stepper motor and is connected to the TPS so it can tell when ur booting it around and compensates the gas flow for it..

Think about this... 304 5L V8, T400 with a stage 3 shift kit, and a 3.7LSD doin:-
100km for $7-$8

A

AJH83

Duel Fuel works like this....

Petrol.. Injectors control the flow of petrol into the combustion chamber.. if the injectors are turned off.. no petrol flows...

Gas.. Saftey Circuit primes the system for about 1 second on ignition.. gas flows into a mixer (connected infront of your throttle body. Air is sucked through under vacume and is used as fuel. Gas convertor produces gas by vapourising it in a chamber that has hot water from your bypass on the water pump to stop the gas freezing it up..

You have a switch.. marked petrol/gas.. when running on gas all you need to do is turn the injectors off.. this can be done by using 2 relays to cut the ground wires from the computer out from the injector circuit.. so when you switch it to petrol the 12+ side runs power to the relay which turns the injectors on.. when 12+ side of gas switch is running it turns on the gas computer, activates saftey cutout switch, computer and turns all gas cut off solinoids on.. (this happens so fast you can switch while driving as long are your revs are above about 1500rpm).

Hope that helps :)

V

VSSleeper

No gas, Gas bad, dont like the price of petrol, get a smaller 4 cyl car, dont ruin a holden!!!!

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
Scooter79 said:
I would have considered gas but I'm not willing to give up my boot space for the tank. Can the gas cylinder replace the petrol tank under the car???
You don't lose boot space (or only minimal), it sits nicely on the raised platform at the back. The only thing you do lose is the ability to have things sticking out through rear seat into the boot space.

For a $1500 a year saving (20k kms a year), I think most people can justify these negatives...

Clacks

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
"No gas, Gas bad, dont like the price of petrol, get a smaller 4 cyl car, dont ruin a holden!!!!"

When your parents stop paying for the fuel, then you'll come around :)

Clacks