Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2 liquid questions

RazzleDazzle

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VX Commodore
Today I started a month of LSL, I only have 8 months owing so while it's cooler where going south and towing the camper.

First question: when the engine is cool and the radiator is full how much coolant should be in the reservoir.
Is it between the 2 arrows on the lower end of the dipstick, on Friday I did a 700 k trip in the pouring rain and today I gave her a good cleaning and the dipstick is dry.
It can't be a leaking reservoir because it's only been replaced 12 months ago.

Second question: can anyone recommend a auto transmission cooler kit that suits the 4L60E perfectly, after Googling the subject I see some recommend having the trans fluid go from the trans and into the radiator and out into the second cooler and then back into the transmission.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
1. Get head under bonnet and look for any dried white powder which would be dried coolant. Plenty of spots where can leak so look around

2. Factory cooler is fine. Literally plug and play
I used a factory one on mine with the lines and very easy to do

Bumper off though for install

D

devilly

agree with uniacidz :) check both hoses, thermo stat cover,you should be able to see it leaking from some where get underneath the car with torch and have a good look.

there are 3 place that it can also leak down the front of the engine.coolant temp sensor,and the 2 heater outlets/inlets have rubber o'rings.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
with coolant leak check as mentioned and heater tap is notorious
with trans coolers i like to bypass radiator completely so less strain on cooling system and if there is ever a failiure it doesnt cross over water and coolant
but either way is fine

RazzleDazzle

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 VX Commodore
agree with uniacidz :) check both hoses, thermo stat cover,you should be able to see it leaking from some where get underneath the car with torch and have a good look.

there are 3 place that it can also leak down the front of the engine.coolant temp sensor,and the 2 heater outlets/inlets have rubber o'rings.

Yep, all good and no leaks. Everything heater and cooling related was replaced a year ago. Now going to Supercheap to get a 5lt container of the ready made Nulon green coolant, it's all we use.

As for the trans cooler, we'll have a professional install a system for use next week. You really need a vehicle hoist to work on anything transmission.
I've taken a good look at youtube and the 4L60E transmission cooler setups.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Today I started a month of LSL, I only have 8 months owing so while it's cooler where going south and towing the camper.

First question: when the engine is cool and the radiator is full how much coolant should be in the reservoir.
Is it between the 2 arrows on the lower end of the dipstick, on Friday I did a 700 k trip in the pouring rain and today I gave her a good cleaning and the dipstick is dry.
It can't be a leaking reservoir because it's only been replaced 12 months ago.

Have a great time away Karen you need a good break. I to am going to see about an extra trans cooler.

D

devilly

Yep, all good and no leaks. Everything heater and cooling related was replaced a year ago. Now going to Supercheap to get a 5lt container of the ready made Nulon green coolant, it's all we use.

As for the trans cooler, we'll have a professional install a system for use next week. You really need a vehicle hoist to work on anything transmission.
I've taken a good look at youtube and the 4L60E transmission cooler setups.

i don't get it.if you have lost a full bottle out of the reservoir tank and no leaks,then maybe check the exhaust for white smoke.and in answer to the question between the two arrows.