Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20" rims how rough is the ride

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
have heard some conflicting stories, some say harsh some say not, have had the car lowered by approx 30mm from standard SS level (fe2)pedders sports riders springs and shocks and am happy with its handling and stance but would like 20 x 8.5 on the front and 20 x 9.5 rears, this is a daily driver so dont want to ruin the ride and make it to harsh seeing that I would need 275x30x20 rears and 245x35x20 fronts, not a lot of sidewall flex (have to watch the potholes)

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
20 inches does require you to slow down on rough roads.

and when you hit a pot hole, you will know about it, both your hip pocket and your lower spine will be sore.

SSVRED77

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE SS V 2007
I understand now why girls wear high heels and tight mini's in winter when they go out clubbing. It's the same with 20 inch rims, you get em cos they look good but lack the performance and durability that other smaller rims have.

Calais57

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0
Mate I have koni's and kings and 20's. Mine is a daily and I also do a fair bit of country driving and no real issues. I am just careful on potholes but mainly to protect the rims.

I haven't experienced the shocks/springs combination you mention but reckon you will be ok. A key thing for me was that the Calais retain a luxury feel. I have the adjustable koni's set to the softest setting.

Biggest issue I had was that I went a bit too low at first. Biggest mistake made by many IMO - the length of the wheelbase means these VE's scrape easily and their weight means they can bottom out if too low. When I had the koni's fitted I raised mine up so its just 1 spring lower than SS/HSV. Very happy now - it is way way better than stock in feel.

But in relation to, your wheels, I reckon 19's look the goods also, and they obviously provide a bit more sidewall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

MontyVE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 MY12 SV6
Depends on the car. In my brother caprice you can floor through a pothole, n you wont know. This is also with Coils wound right down.

In my dads E3 GTS, hit a pothole, n you feel it like never before haha

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
what about 20" and no lowering

Had this combo on my SSV with FE2 set-up. No dramas and loved the ride. Yep avoid pot holes.

MontyVE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 MY12 SV6
Yeah in standard wheel base, avoid potholes like the plague. Be wise, young grasshopper :p

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
If you're an observant driver, you should be avoiding pot holes anyway... but if you live in an area where the roads are shocking (or you drive on unsealed roads on a regular basis), avoid 20's.

That being said, my car is a daily driver- and I have 20's lowered. No dramas whatsoever.
Listening to some of the above comments you'd think the sky is falling with 20's, and that's not the case Chicken Licken.

However getting 20's and not lowering will make it look like a hylux imo.
Dont get me wrong, I hate cars that drag on the ground too..... but to me at least, a cars guards have to sit nice and even all the way around tyre edge. Wheel shouldnt be tucked under guard, and conversely you shouldnt be able to see suspension. That's my idea on correct lowering- and if you do that you wont have troubles scraping anywhere and ride wont suffer.
Go to the VE Rides section for pics of different member cars.
19's look ok, but the vast majority prefer 20's on VE's. And if the ride was 'that crap' there wouldnt be so many just for looks.
I think anything higher than 20's is retarded though (from a looks and legal pov).