Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2004 GTO Aerial probs

Swinghammer

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GTO, VS S3 Ute, WB UTE, J10 Jeep
Got a question for you guys please.

I have taken out the Factory Blaupunkt 6 Disc unit in my GTO and replaced it with a Kenwood DDX6039 HU.

The Blaupunkt headunit had 2 Aerial Coaxial cable going into it.

Now during the install I traced the 2 aerial cables and 1 cable goes to the Aerial which is amalgamated into the rear window Demister lines. The other coaxial cable goes into a small box on the rear shelf which says on top of it ( Aerial Amplifier.

I connected the Kenwood to the the cable that goes to the rear window.

My radio reception is ok in the city, but I lose reception when I veture out of the city.

Should I somehow connect to the other Coaxial cable as well?

Problem is the Kenwood unit has only 1 coaxial plug like most Head units do, The Kenwood has a seperate wire for Antenna amp , but it is just a single thin wire and not a coaxial cable.
Any ideas please?

My car doesn't have a external aerial as such. The only aerial it has is intergrated into the rear window glass

Reaction score
Website
www.caraudiofactoryoutlet.com.au
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
Got a question for you guys please.

I have taken out the Factory Blaupunkt 6 Disc unit in my GTO and replaced it with a Kenwood DDX6039 HU.

The Blaupunkt headunit had 2 Aerial Coaxial cable going into it.

Now during the install I traced the 2 aerial cables and 1 cable goes to the Aerial which is amalgamated into the rear window Demister lines. The other coaxial cable goes into a small box on the rear shelf which says on top of it ( Aerial Amplifier.

I connected the Kenwood to the the cable that goes to the rear window.

My radio reception is ok in the city, but I lose reception when I veture out of the city.

Should I somehow connect to the other Coaxial cable as well?

Problem is the Kenwood unit has only 1 coaxial plug like most Head units do, The Kenwood has a seperate wire for Antenna amp , but it is just a single thin wire and not a coaxial cable.
Any ideas please?

My car doesn't have a external aerial as such. The only aerial it has is intergrated into the rear window glass

Say it would be one for Phreddy!

Though.. firstly the wire coming from the HU would be the Power Aerial Wire?? YES/NO not the aerial amp wire?

I would "T" the aerial connection at the HU end and run your OEM Coxials lead to it, should solve the problem. But from your description it sounds like that one lead from the amplifier goes to the HU and amplifies the signal coming from the flate aerial... which mean the HU PCB is doing the mixing etc.. so in that case may not work by "T" ing the cable.

May be a mod for PHREDDY!!

Swinghammer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here is a pic of the factory Blapunkt HU,
It shows the 2 Aerial sockets.

1 goes to the intergrated anttena in the rear window and the second goes to a small black box on the rear shelf, Which is about the size of a box of matches. '
The box has a sticker on top of it saying Antenna Amp, I can't remember if the second wire continues from the box to the intergrated rear window antenna.

Looks like I will be pulling the rear shelf again to see if the wire continues.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the coax from the amplifier is called the diversity antenna, the original h/u blends the signals to provide better reception, im not sure if joining them will work, try using the diversity antenna & see what happens.

Rob

Swinghammer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thaks Doc Bob.

Are you saying disconnect the antenna wire from the socket and plug it into the other socket and see what happens?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
yeah try that & see what happens, the primary antenna should provide the strongest signal though.

Rob

Reaction score
Website
www.caraudiofactoryoutlet.com.au
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
yeah try that & see what happens, the primary antenna should provide the strongest signal though.

Rob

Nice -- Rob.. did not know that these had a diversity aerial... that explains alot!

Swinghammer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Doc bob.:thumbsup:

I will do it tomorrow and see what the outcome is.

I can't remember if the wire continues from the Antenna amp box on the rear shelf to the antenna in the window. Do know if it continues please?

I am getting old and my memory is failing

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
yes i think it should continue up & connect to the glass