Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006 VE Commodore Omega Speaker Upgrade

ANDY22

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE COMMODORE
Hi all,

Just purchased a set of Alpine SPS-610C 6.5inch Splits and SPS-610 Coaxial speakers for my 06 Omega, just wondering if anyone would know if these would fit directly in or I would need a spacer of some sort for it to fit correctly.

cheers

adz88

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Commodore SV6
6.5" alpine speakers

Hi Andy22,
Was wondering if you found out whether or not the alpine 6.5" speakers fit into your ve, or if you needed spacers? I've got an '07 sv6 and was wondering the same thing.

pittyonyx

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v 6.0L
You will need spacers as the factory speaker holes are 6"

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
Im looking at doing the same, I know I need 6.5" spacer....but what thickness. Thinnest Ive seen is 16mm and that seems abit thick to me

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
Im looking at doing the same, I know I need 6.5" spacer....but what thickness. Thinnest Ive seen is 16mm and that seems abit thick to me

You don't NEED spacers but you will get better mounting/fitment and sound from your speakers with spacers.

I didn't need spacers when I put 6.5" Pioneer splits in the front and 6.5" Pioneer 2-ways in rear of my Omega.
The speakers fitted into the factory plastic mounts, I just had to drill in holes to hold the new speakers, as factory speakers have 3, most aftermarket have 4 holes.

What brand of speakers were you looking at getting, Alpines like OP and poster #2? As this may make the difference between needing and not needing these.

Here are Infinity Kappa 65.7CS 6.5" installed in front of a boneart's SS-V with no spacers (from thread: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/upgrading-ve-stock-speakers-how.159709)

15.jpg

1_johnboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
11` VE Omega
I have some pioneer tsa1605c for the front, and kicker cs65 for the rear

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
I have the TS-A1604C, so there may be some slight differences between your model but I'd say you could make if fit.
If you have the time and energy, make an MDF baffle to file over the stock plastic mount, and cut a hole to fit your speaker - as per cutout template on back of box.

Me, I did not have time or energy, so just speakers into stock plastic mounts...

Not sure about the Kicker's for your rears but would guess they should fit after checking online for specs (Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras, then looking at 'Cutout Diameter' on your Kickers and my Pioneers TS-G1644R). It takes about 5 or so mins to get the door trim off and the stock speakers out to test :)

jr_

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportwagon
better than stock :)
they are cheap speakers but for what I wanted (just a little more lower end sound without going bass tubes or slimline subs) they do the job.

I've read a lot of good advice on here where amp'ing stock speakers and spending money on dynamat (or similar) instead of 40-50w speakers will get you the same result.
if the car were new when I bought it, I may have considered this route.