Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006 Ve SSV Rear Knock

veessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SSV
Hey Guys any ideas would be great.

Ive got a knocking sound coming from the rear of the car now it only does it when turning left around a sweeping bend, light throttle constant knock knock knock *sounds like what u would get if it was cv joints in a front wheel drive car I haven't heard this before in a rear wheel so im not sure what it is diff maybe?.
It doesnt do it when u put more power on or lay off the power or when the clutch is in, only light throttle and it only does it going left.

Im gonna put it up on the hoist tonight and have a look but if anyone can give me an idea what it maybe or what im looking for would help thanks.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I had a similar sounding problem - got it up on a hoist and there was quite a lot of play in the diff. Took it into holden and they said there was no fault found, but when I got the car back the noise was all but gone - put it up on the hoist and the diff was much tighter - so they did something.. just don't know what exactly.

SteveHatz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
shifty bastards

that is all

p.s i hope you find a resolution, these type of things annoy me so much as well

veessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SSV
Ok so I've had a look and the right hand drive shaft is loose coming out of the diff I can move it up and down with my hand the left is tight, anyone know what be involved in fixing it?

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
I believe to do this work the diff needs to come out and replacing the drive shaft. Looks like the car might have been doing some skids?. All up its a big job in itself, unbolting everything just to get at the diff and drive shafts. Lucky you have a hoist.....

veessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SSV
Thanks guys for the help,

narr i wouldnt say i have been doing anything crazy in it, nothing that i would of thought cause the damage and its only done 60,000 but then i did buy it at 30,000 so who knows how it was driven before.

Anyway ill give it a go on the weekend cant be that hard (famous last words)

astroham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Looking
i ahd the same sort of problem 3 weeks ago ... i took it to holden and they said the tail shaft was stuffed ... they also said it happens a lot in the manuals ... luckily got mine done under waranty ... good luck with yours

SteveHatz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
tinsnips comes up with the correct diagnosis once again......

veessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SSV
Ok so update when i had it up on the hoist the other day for some reason i didnt even realise that i had no LSD noticed last nite when i went to a mates place and couldnt get it off the grass i was just looking for something loose or a noise in the diff silly me should seen that both wheels werent spinning up on the hoist anyway.

So ive got the diff out and apart and its not pretty so i ordered a new diff went 3.7 picking it up today should have it in by tonite