Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006 VZ - check powertrain

Megan!

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Executive
I've had some issues with my car, the Check Powertrain comes on the dash... I had a diagnostic scan tool hooked up and it said the spark plugs, so I got them all replaced with NGK laser platinum spark plugs and they removed the code... Then it after 100ks it popped back up, so then I took it to another place to get anotheranother dia scan tool hooked up... That time it said it was the right side O2 sensor so I got them both replaced and the place removed the code... 100ks later and it came back up again... So lost... Has this happened to anyone else?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Yea happened to me but replacement of one o2 sensor fixed it.
Also had a similar problem with wife's car which turned out to be low battery.
And yet another problem years ago turned out to be oil pressure switch.

Megan!

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Executive
Yea happened to me but replacement of one o2 sensor fixed it.
Also had a similar problem with wife's car which turned out to be low battery.
And yet another problem years ago turned out to be oil pressure switch.
I put a new battery in it 2 months ago and I was told it could be the battery in the key as well but I replaced that 5 months ago too

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
If you have a coil or two malfunctioning, it will let too much unburnt fuel through and can then stuff up an O2 sensor. Might have paid to change the coils at the same time as the plugs. I would bite the bullet, pull the plenum off again, replace the coils, check any plugs for fouling, replace the O2 sensor and go from there. Just my 2c worth though.

Megan!

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Executive
If you have a coil or two malfunctioning, it will let too much unburnt fuel through and can then stuff up an O2 sensor. Might have paid to change the coils at the same time as the plugs. I would bite the bullet, pull the plenum off again, replace the coils, check any plugs for fouling, replace the O2 sensor and go from there. Just my 2c worth though.
I'll get that done, thanks!

zoenryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
Hi - you might want to think about buying your own scan tool. There are various ones around . I bought an AUTEL AL 619 a couple of years ago (EBAY) and it allows me to read codes, check O2 sensors, gives some live data re fuel trims and more importantly - erase codes to turn the MIL light off . Note this can also be done by disconnecting the battery for short time.
The other advantage is mine has an ABS module - which allows me to check and find faults with the ABS system.
As with all things - there are cheaper ones around and more expensive ones too!