Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006 VZ Exec 3.6L.. radiator cooling fans

pizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 Sportwagon
I have a question about the two cooling fans on the radiator.
The smaller of the two fans is not working....I checked the fuse....had the relays checked and they are ok...in the end it looked as though the fan motor was shot.....I replaced the smaller fan and motor...started the car and turned on the air con,the larger fan kicked in.... but the smaller fan still was not working....
Do both fans kick in at the same time or the smaller fan kick in as the coolant gets hotter?...I have no idea
I have not checked the heat sensor,nor traced the loop back to the computer? (whatever the proper name for it is)
Any help with this would be much appreciated
Many thanks...

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
the larger fan comes on with the air con, the smaller fan being the high speed one kicks in when the coolant temp gets to 109 degrees. one way to test is to earth out pin 86 on the relay, simply get a piece of wire, put it in where pin 86 on the relay is (it will have the relay numbers on the underside of the relay, 30, 85, 86, 87, 87a), push the wire with the relay back in its socket and touch the other end of the wire to earth, or the negative battery terminal.

alternitively, get a scan tool and check all the sensors and actuators, that will show you if everything is working

lowsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz 05 sv6
Check if you have power at terminal 30 or 87 on the car if there is get a piece Of wire and bridge out the two out fan should come on, I had this problem couple of weeks ago and it was just a relay.

pizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 Sportwagon
OK,I will do both today,thank you for the info richardpalinkas and lowsv6.....it gives me some hope of resolving any doubts i have now
CheerZ....pizz

pizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 Sportwagon
Ok...I have done both tests and all is good,both fans operating :)).....thanks heaps for the info guys......this forum is invaluable..
CheerZ

sassy19

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Commodore
Digging up an old thread. My car is doing the exact same thing. How did you end up fixing it?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V8 Unte
I have a question about the two cooling fans on the radiator.
The smaller of the two fans is not working....I checked the fuse....had the relays checked and they are ok...in the end it looked as though the fan motor was shot.....I replaced the smaller fan and motor...started the car and turned on the air con,the larger fan kicked in.... but the smaller fan still was not working....
Do both fans kick in at the same time or the smaller fan kick in as the coolant gets hotter?...I have no idea
I have not checked the heat sensor,nor traced the loop back to the computer? (whatever the proper name for it is)
Any help with this would be much appreciated
Many thanks...
G’Day
I am having the same issue ish, the information i have gathered is that the second fan kicks in when the Air Con is in use.

The issue i am having is that nether of the fans kick in even when the temp goes above 105c. I have chewed everything but it looks to be a logic issue.

Hope this helps

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
G’Day
I am having the same issue ish, the information i have gathered is that the second fan kicks in when the Air Con is in use.

The issue i am having is that nether of the fans kick in even when the temp goes above 105c. I have chewed everything but it looks to be a logic issue. Hope this helps

The first port of call for perceived or actual overheating issues is the thermostat, at the back end of the Alloytec engine. It's a bugger to get to and service, and it is a replaceable item. Only one fan activates when required if air conditioning is on and the engine is being run in hot weather. The second fan, for the transmission will operate continuously under load e.g. towing in hilly country and also hot weather as required.

Doo Crew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ sedan
Wife's VZ has a fan issue that i cant seem to resolve even after reading all on this forum. Fans wont run at all, all power & fuses/relays check out fine & I can "Jump run" the fans by bridging the relay terminals. Not sure about the temp sender unit as the dash gauge works fine. I'm just not getting a switch signal to the relays by the look of it. Diagrams show that signal from the ecu, I'm fearing an engine control module. The only other issue has been a delay in the aircon getting cold for the last 12-18 months, once running it work as soon as you start the motor, just the first run is delayed, not sure if connected to the cooling fans issue or not.

Any help on this one would be appreciated as we live a fair distance from any repairers.