Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2007 Captiva 3.2 v6 timing chain

vycommy1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim
I bought a Captiva 07 3.2v6 for $1300 and had engine light on I made sure there was no rattles on start up and all was okay are these codes in relation to timing chain failure, car still drives okay, cleared codes but waiting to see if they come back. Thanks
IMG_0009.png

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I know for a fact that P0008 is a code which commonly pops up when these engines have timing chain issues... If I were you, I'd sell this car now as Captivas (or Craptivas) are a money pit and you will constantly have to replace big ticket items on a car that's worth nothing...

vycommy1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim
I know for a fact that P0008 is a code which commonly pops up when these engines have timing chain issues... If I were you, I'd sell this car now as Captivas (or Craptivas) are a money pit and you will constantly have to replace big ticket items on a car that's worth nothing...
Whats odd is I cleared these codes when I made this post and have driven ever since and now only have these codes here which keep appearing when cleared
Screenshot_2023-11-08-11-07-49-098.jpg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Replace the oil pressure sensor. Pretty standard failure. Cheap and easy to replace.

Clean the cam sensors. (Worth a try) with Carby cleaner and paper towel. Easy to remove. Clean the seals with a wipe over.

Remove the cam actuators. Give them a flush out with throttle body cleaner/carby cleaner. Get them back in. Give it a go. If no change you’ve lost next to nothing and it doesn’t even take up much time.

If you go to a wrecker, grab a cam sensor and swap it out at minimal cost. All going well, no chains needed. Plan on using diesel oil for a while with frequent changes at 5000 or less at the start. The detergents in the diesel engine oil will slowly break down the grot that might be clogging the oil
galleries or even tensioners. Hopfully avoid needing chains done.

Last edited:

vycommy1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim
Replace the oil pressure sensor. Pretty standard failure. Cheap and easy to replace.

Clean the cam sensors. (Worth a try) with Carby cleaner and paper towel. Easy to remove. Clean the seals with a wipe over.

Remove the cam actuators. Give them a flush out with throttle body cleaner/carby cleaner. Get them back in. Give it a go. If no change you’ve lost next to nothing and it doesn’t even take up much time.

If you go to a wrecker, grab a cam sensor and swap it out at minimal cost. All going well, no chains needed. Plan on using diesel oil for a while with frequent changes at 5000 or less at the start. The detergents in the diesel engine oil will slowly break down the grot that might be clogging the oil
Yep I read up on cam sensors pulled them out and they were all caked to crap with hard crusty oil, have cleaned and replaced and reset DTC now I feel more response in the car in terms of acceleration, although can notice the solenoids lagging a bit for vvt, will give them a go but so far so good, will head into Repco and buy a new oil pressure sensor is it easy to replace?

vycommy1997

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim

Scrap my response, engine light back for P0017, SIGH