Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2009 VE SV6 Aircon problems and questions

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Aside from the shitfuckery of "licenced ac experts" degassing a system and regassing it using your old gas, with some potential added contaminants from their equipment, It aint a great idea to let the gas slowly bleed out of your car's ac system while using it (just because it cools a little bit while hissing which some think is still ok).

Why? Leaking gas carried ac oil with it and there isn't a huge amount to start with. With gas loss and associated loss of oil comes risk so you may find your ac compressor starts to suffer mechanically... Then not only has one got to find the leak, fix it and regas, they may also have to buy a new compressor :p
That sure does occur. Charge customers for their own gas when putting it back in. Not the first time I have heard that

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Regas on a VE is only $150. For that price I wouldn't care less who's gas they use.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I will check for leaks over the weekend. If I can’t find any I’ll try book the car in for a diagnosis

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Hi all,
I have a few questions about the aircon system in my VE SV6. Please bear in mind, given how cold it has been in Melbourne I have been using the heater quite often (it is frequently used).

Let me paint a picture first.

. No cold air, only the blower only spins when put on cold, but hot is great.

. The AC button on the temp dial does not illuminate at all/ when pressed. Could this maybe be a fuse that is causing the ac system not to work?

Today, started the car and put the heater on (which was previously left on the “leg setting” for lack of a better word) and the fan/ blower sounded like it was knocking/ binding on something. So I flicked through the other climate settings (I.e front defroster, etc. and still made that sound until 30 secs later but back to normal. BUT now the “leg setting” does not work.

Please bear in mind that I replaced the cabin filter 6000km ago, and the engine bay is clean (no leaves, shrubs, etc) and the car is not parked under a tree for that to happen.

Apologies for the essay/ word vomit but I would appreciate to hear some opinions and advice.

Thanks,
Anthony
I’m betting on the reirc door and or actuator being cactus (been there, done that). Holden do some world class shitfuckery on the AC system with VE and force it to full heat if any part of the actuator system fails the self test.

Remove the plenum cover where the pollen filter goes (and remove said filter or mesh if you only have the mesh grille) and see of you can move the recir door easily by hand.

If it’s flapping around in the breeze then the door is cactus or the actuator is cactus. Most likely the door as the star drive in the end of the door that the actuator goes into shatters into pieces so it’s not connected to the actuator anymore. Thats probably what’s causing the fan noise, the shattered parts of the recirc door hitting the fan blades.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I’m betting on the reirc door and or actuator being cactus (been there, done that). Holden do some world class shitfuckery on the AC system with VE and force it to full heat if any part of the actuator system fails the self test.

Remove the plenum cover where the pollen filter goes (and remove said filter or mesh if you only have the mesh grille) and see of you can move the recir door easily by hand.

If it’s flapping around in the breeze then the door is cactus or the actuator is cactus. Most likely the door as the star drive in the end of the door that the actuator goes into shatters into pieces so it’s not connected to the actuator anymore. Thats probably what’s causing the fan noise, the shattered parts of the recirc door hitting the fan blades.
Cheers, JD. I know exactly where your talking about as I did the pollen filter somewhat recently.
If it is the case, would I be able to fix it there, or do I have to do it via the interior?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers, JD. I know exactly where your talking about as I did the pollen filter somewhat recently.
If it is the case, would I be able to fix it there, or do I have to do it via the interior?
You have to remove the fan plenum under the glovebox in the interior. Complete PITA to do unfortunately. Video below on what’s involved minus the AC evaporator as you wouldn’t need to do that part.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Aside from the shitfuckery of "licenced ac experts" degassing a system and regassing it using your old gas, with some potential added contaminants from their equipment, It aint a great idea to let the gas slowly bleed out of your car's ac system while using it (just because it cools a little bit while hissing which some think is still ok).

Why? Leaking gas carried ac oil with it and there isn't a huge amount to start with. With gas loss and associated loss of oil comes risk so you may find your ac compressor starts to suffer mechanically... Then not only has one got to find the leak, fix it and regas, they may also have to buy a new compressor :p
I know where its leaking, high preasure side (as per attachment as an illustration/guide)
VERY Common on the VE's. V6 & V8's

That being my NEW replacement pipe/pluming to be fitted, that I will replace, and get the old one repaired and shelve it.

I have found a Refridge Mechanic in Keysborough that will re-gas it for $80 cash (I go to him)

Attachments

• Air Conditioning Manifold and Hoses_leak.jpg
    Air Conditioning Manifold and Hoses_leak.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know where its leaking, high preasure side (as per attachment as an illustration/guide)
VERY Common on the VE's. V6 & V8's

That being my NEW replacement pipe/pluming to be fitted, that I will replace, and get the old one repaired and shelve it.

I have found a Refridge Mechanic in Keysborough that will re-gas it for $80 cash (I go to him)
I just had that line replaced on my SSV cause it was leaking. One thousand dollars later….

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I just had that line replaced on my SSV cause it was leaking. One thousand dollars later….
Did they give you back the old piping ?