Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 SV6 Sedan Heron White (2nd VE)

BlackPhoenix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
So I figured it was about time I finally put my new ride up on here, unfortunately the last one got hit by a motorbike while I was at work and it ended up being a write-off.

After this happened I was without a car and it was time to search for a new one. I didn't want to try my luck a second time with a Series 1 as the last had the dreaded check engine light that was related to the timing chain. So I decided a Series 2 would be the better option, plus I like the look of the front bumper better and the IQ system is another plus ;) But why stop there, I decided it would be better to just go with an SV6 this time instead of making it something it is not.

So this is how my new pride and joy stayed for the first week or so before the mods started to begin.

My first change was to swap the original red rear lights over to the SSV ones I added onto my old VE not long before it was written off, luckily I ended up driving it home (even though I definitely shouldn't have) but this allowed me to grab any pieces I wanted off it before it was too late.

The silver trim around the shifter wasn't doing great with the silver bubbling up and peeling off in places so I decided to give it a sand back and spray it white to match the exterior of the car. This isn't permanent and still isn't great but it is better than how it was and I actually quite like it.

After this my next change involved the wheels and some plati-dip. I had always wanted some black wheels even with my previous Commodore but money was another issue. Painting the ones I had was always an option but I'm not brave enough to permanently paint my wheels, atleast not yet. This meant that plasti-dip was a great option, it gave me the look I wanted but without the risk as I could peel it off if I didn't like it. $50 later and 3 and a half cans down I had 4 black wheels.

I was impressed with how the plasti-dip was holding up after this first week and with half a can left I decided I wanted to try out giving my exhaust tips a spray. I was skeptical at first as to how well it would stay on with the temperatures it would have t deal with but so far they are holding up great and I have no complaints yet.

Next on the list is to get the tint done again as the tint that's on it now is shocking and has a large spot on the drivers window where it has come off. After this will be front sports armour and then who knows from there.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
don't mind the white around the gearshift, sports armour would look nice, bigger tips to fill the exhaust hole maybe
doesn't look like a lot of damage for a write off though

BlackPhoenix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Yeah I am surprised and not surprised at the same time that it was a write off. The bumper, front quarter, two drivers side doors and sideskirt needed to be replaced as well as the wheel and tyre. And that's not even getting to the even bigger issue of the bent steering rack. I ended up driving it home even though I really probably shouldn't have as the steering wheel was at a 45 degree angle in order to go straight and it veered harshly to the right.

BlackPhoenix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Got the Sports Armour installed today and as expected I like it a lot.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I kept my Sports Armour black aswell.
Looks good.

BlackPhoenix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Haven't updated this thread lately but that doesn't mean I haven't been doing work to the VE. The next thing I added after the sports armour was quad mufflers off an SS. I had some similar to these on my last one and I liked the sound and the look so I wanted to do the same for this. I could have gone a different route and done a lot more but I just can't find any really good sounding SV6's so sticking with the SS mufflers was my best bet as it give me the look I want but also gives a deeper tone without the drone of the other alternatives.

The next thing to go was the plasti-dip on the wheels. They had been on for a bit and I was happy enough with the black look but not happy overall with the matte finish of the plasti-dip or it coming off in areas. So I decided to do it properly if you could say that and painted them gloss black. WHile I was at it I decided to also do my brake callipers. I was tossing up between yellow or black (very big differences) but decided on the black as I wanted to keep this car looking clean and not too flashy.

The next change was my headlights. The reflector headlights that came with the car were a bit weatherd from the sun and the plastic inside had quite a bit of sun damage. They also didn't work great with my Xenon lights that I had installed so I decided the best bet would be projectors. Since I was going to need to take the front bumper off to install my new headlights I decided I might as well get the chrome trim for the front while I was at it. With the projectors, chrome trim and the Holden badge without plasti-dip I really like the look of the front of this.

Before the projectors and chrome trim.

And after.

And now it finally brings us to current day where last night I installed some white fog lights which were all that I was missing for the lights.

I took a comparison of the two with one fog light stock and the other white.

And finally with both of them installed. I have led parkers in but they give off a blue colour even though I would prefer white but I don't mind them that much.

The next thing on the list for me to do is still the tint. It has been put off since I got the car and I have lived with a blurry rear window the whole time and the missing piece on the drivers window so I am trying to find a good time to get it done. I am thinking of 25% all over. What are everyone's thoughts?

BlackPhoenix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Edit: Woops, double post.

Last edited:

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Looks good mate. Glad to see a p plater that isn't trying to make a 6 sound like an 8 and ruining it. These sound ok with the quad tips and they look good, which is the main thing. The wheels look good. I went gloss black with mine as well and I'm glad i did, I find plastidip ends up fading and looking dirty all the time on wheels.

BlackPhoenix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6
Looks good mate. Glad to see a p plater that isn't trying to make a 6 sound like an 8 and ruining it. These sound ok with the quad tips and they look good, which is the main thing. The wheels look good. I went gloss black with mine as well and I'm glad i did, I find plastidip ends up fading and looking dirty all the time on wheels.

Thanks Husky. Yeh I was constantly finding my wheels dirty and even after washing it they still didn't look great. I am much happier with the gloss black.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
well done!, you could do some handling mods, bars, bush's, maybe even a height tweek, not keen on the bonnet protector (not my car though) but the black on white looks nice and the light upgrade!!