Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 VE Commodore Car Alarm going off at 2am !

Karen Lawley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden International
This has been happening for a few months now and I have got to the point where I won't drive it as it is too embarrassing. Someone suggested cleaning the sensors ? Anyone know where they are ? I have to admit my car does get pretty dirty as we have a long dirt driveway. The dashboard says something about the bonnet not locked ? Help please !! I don't want to spend a fortune going to the Dealer if it is something simple, and quite frankly if it is a fault in the alarm system I shouldn't be paying for it. Suggestions please ??

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Being a 2010 vehicle, it is no doubt long out of warranty, so you will be paying for repairs.
I'm not certain on the VE, but When you open the bonnet, is there a little black plunger switch that you can push down into the body panel of the car? This is likely the culprit. Usually held in place by one Phillips head screw, take it out and give it a good spray with contact cleaner and operate it manually whilst cleaning it. Make sure the contacts on the switch, where the wires connect are also clean and free from corrosion.

Karen Lawley

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden International
Thank you so much for your reply, unfortunately there is nothing that resembles your description that I can find under the bonnet :-( So I guess I am going to have to call the Dealers and have them run it thru diagnostics, I still think it is something simple, although it has done a couple of other strange things in the last 2 years, whilst driving after about and hour and a half all the lights etc, just turn off so you can't read the dashboard ?? quite weird so maybe they can fix that at the same time. Again, thank you for your time it is really appreciated !

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Wonder if your battery is dropping under a certain voltage or disconnecting from earth. (Might need a new battery or something is constantly draining the car, Do you have an aftermarket Sound system? I dont quite know how the holden alarm work. But my aftermarket would alarm when the battery would drop to a certain voltage. Also you might have rusty terminal's somewhere 90% of the time was under the bonnet. Again i dont even know if the VE has under bonnet alarm pins. I guess you can test it. Leave the bonnet open and lock the car see if it alarms in a few minutes. Try it with the boot to maybe

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Wonder if your battery is dropping under a certain voltage or disconnecting from earth. (Might need a new battery or something is constantly draining the car, Do you have an aftermarket Sound system? I dont quite know how the holden alarm work. But my aftermarket would alarm when the battery would drop to a certain voltage. Also you might have rusty terminal's somewhere 90% of the time was under the bonnet. Again i dont even know if the VE has under bonnet alarm pins. I guess you can test it. Leave the bonnet open and lock the car see if it alarms in a few minutes. Try it with the boot to maybe

Yep, the alarm will go off when you disconnect/reconnect the battery so a tired battery or messy terminals could definitely cause this.

John Gerrard

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GTS Vxr8
I know this is 5 years too late, but this might help some people. My MY2012 did this. Traced to the bonnet latch, the microswitch inside. I just bride
ged the wires, sorted. Wire connection just behind the latch, remove the plastic cover abover the radiator.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
not five years too late..perfect timing ..i got the same problem...you sure dislike the car when it happens but i bet its like kicking a goal when you fix it ...ill check it out thanks
outside this being the problem is the tech 2 the only way to find it using a scan tool?

Shen Long

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice 5.7L
Just try hitting the snooze button or changing the time to 7am so it wakes you up at the right time each day

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Don’t flame me but …………..I just fixed this problem and it was the hood catch /latch switch …it works with a small magnet on a arm that rotates with the catch ….the arm comes close to 2 reed switches mounted on a pc board ( one makes circuit to earth when hood open and other when it’s closed )in a micro switch riveted to the latch as a assembly . I pulled it apart by drilling out one rivet that secures switch to latch and then filing off 3 plastic heads that keep actual switch together and took out pc board out (pictured)and found the copper corroded away on a track from age …so I just soldered some copper wire from solder joint to solder joint and hot glued it to the board….and superglued switch together and pop riveted it to latch assembly ……I could have just shorted the black and purple wires out and do away with latch switch but that would be giving up without a fight.
You can’t just disconnect switch as body control module needs to see a circuit to earth when it’s closed to not set alarm off.
CE27681A-321D-41AB-ACC5-7842C1BE9552.jpeg
7F7E57EF-CD30-44E2-901F-D0306F6B0C02.jpeg
ABE57983-2F2F-4112-8D9B-36C832F1DA4E.jpeg

Last edited: