Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 VE Commodore Sedan Factory Dual Fuel - 150,000km service cost?

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE (Factory) LPG Berlina
Have been quoted $892 at Bay City Holden Frankston VIC for the 150,000 km "major service" on my VE factory dual fuel sedan.

This seems pretty expensive. Thoughts?

Also, I had the brakes discs machined & new brake pads fitted in late 2017 because of brake pedal / steering wheel shudder.
The shudder is now coming back - surely the work done in 2017 should have lasted longer?

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
According to the holden website, a 90000km fixed price service for 2010 VE Berlina costs $672. Oddly they don't list a LPG variant or a 150,000km service but for a petrol vehicle i'd think its a repeat of 60,000km service which should cost $491. Whether your vehicle qualifies for the fixed price schedule i have no idea.

As to LPG servicing, it will obviously cost more than petrol only vehicle as a few more things need to be checked and possibly lpg filter replaced. Then there is the cost of meeting your legal obligation as the tank approaches 10yo since it must be removed, inspected and tested before its restamped and put back into service before the 10 years are up. Obviously you want the tank empty for such tank testing work. Tank testing alone can be from $100 to $300 or more if removing the tank is a difficult job.

So it may be that the quoted $892 service doesn't sound unreasonable for Holden, especially if it includes tank testing.

As to who can do LPG service, only mechanic who are gas certified (AAFRB?) can work on LPG systems. This requirement also includes Holden dealers which must have an gas qualified mechanic to work on LPG systems. LPG tank testing may require another level of certification on top of that but i'm not sure.

As always, you don't have to go back to Holden for your service, any suitably qualified business will do. A quick google search found this mob in Dandenong so check what they charge for LPG service. Keep in mind i don't know this mob from a bar of soap as google found them. There may be someone closer to you so try some google foo yourself ;)

Good luck with it.

Last edited:

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Good luck with it.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Here's the Service Booklet description: https://imgur.com/a/tsTzaWO

I think I'll check another Holden dealer and a couple of non-dealer mechanics next week.

What do you think about a full machining of discs and new brake pads in late 2017 and steering wheel shudder returning in mid-2019?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
What pads are in it and how do you drive?
This time I would not bother trying to machine them again and just fit new decent quality discs with good pads. A more heavy duty pad should wear the rotor a little faster but stop it developing a shudder so be much better.
Maybe you don't brake hard enough to warm them up properly.

RochyBoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
What pads are in it and how do you drive?
Maybe you don't brake hard enough to warm them up properly.

Can't find the invoice, whatever pads https://www.stopngo.com.au/ put in when they did the work. I think the pads were the step down from the top line (& top price) Bendix pads.

My wife drives this car, and she drives it normally, not hard, and not gently.
If the original brakes lasted seven years (2010-17), I would have expected them to last another seven after the work done in 2017.