Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 SIDI engine Noise...not the usual SIDI noise

warnzie85

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sedan
I know the sidi engines have wierd and wonder engine noises, but i seem to have a - noises are hard to describe - a hollow mettallic lifter / knock coming from the right hand side of the engine bay right near the oil filter housing. Now this noise as it's pretty noticeable (people have commented on it) was not there when i bought it new and not there till 6 - 700kms ago when i first noticed. All i had from the engine was a nice cricket sqeek every revolution (you know the one) and the ticker tatter of the injectors...beautiful...but not now. I have been to the dealer 2 times in this period, gone to another dealer and they say its all normal???

Well, this is what i hate about buying a new car...i bought the car because it was quite, now it's not...here's your car back i want my money back because the product i bought isn't performing as it should be as when first bought...i will get out of dream land now:) If only cars were like electrical goods and toasters hey?

So, how do i go about this...i went to a licenced mechanic who is the head Tafe teacher at Ashmore Tafe (mechanical) who said unacceptable for a new car, and has said that doesn't sound quite right. Obviously hasn't pulled the engine apart and can't say exactly what noise is without doing so but in his professional opinion says for a new car unacceptable and that noise says somthing isnt right. He has SIDI engines at the tafe campus (same as my sidi engine) and says they dont sound anything like it. My brother and mate both have 2011 / 2012 sidi 3.6 engines and the sound isnt there either??? I asked the dealership to compare another sidi engine with me but both refused to do so!!

Do i get him to right a report on his thoughts as a licenced mechanic and take to holden and say "Fix It". Im at a loss at what to do??? Don't mean to rant but like alot of everyone on this forum, we have paid big money for a commodore, not easy money we have spare but hard earned money, bought it on the basis of how it performed..sounded...and now when something like this happens where do we stand...basically crap hill without a terd to throw

Any suggestions...write to holden..mmmm...it's all normal...well, if this is what my engine sounds like then the engine i test drove must be the false advertising engine (maybe instead of engine no. it may have that stamp on it?????)

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I guess you would need to be more specific with the noise before Holden could make comment on it. But surely your friend from Tafe can give you a suggestion at the type of noise it is based on his vast experience.

I would suggest you put your displeasure in writing to both the Holden dealers who have advised "normal" so far and then pass their responses onto Holden customer care asking how they would like to proceed.

If they are not willing to find the noise and repair it, are they will to cover your cost to pay an engineer to do fact finding surgery? If no fault found, you wear the cost, otherwise they will.

Worst case, you will have it well documented and if there is a failure even outside warranty, you can pull the "I told you so" card and get it repaired.

It's hard for a company to deny knowledge if you have supplied a paper trail.

Be polite and factual in your letter/email writing, not emotional or threatening.

Good luck

Tim

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
^ good advice.

also try and mention that the tafe guy has other SIDI engined cars and is very familiar with how they 'should' sound, and that he believes it doesnt sound right.
the fact that the dealers refuse to compare with another car in the lot is also concerning (as a bare minimum in customer service this isnt an unreasonable request), and might be something you can mention in a letter to head office.
you could try another dealer as well. dont mention you've gone to previous dealers... just say you've moved to the area or something.
you could also go into old dealer and pretend you want to buy a new car. get salesman to start up demo car in lot, and listen for yourself. if it sounds different, so straight into the managers office and ask them to listen for themselves.

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Holden will disclaim any and all "noises". It's actually in the warranty.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Holden will disclaim any and all "noises". It's actually in the warranty.
I'd like to see that in the warranty. You can't make a warranty that broad. You can say that "trim squeaks and rattles" are only covered for a certain period of time/km, but not a wide statement like "no noises of any kind".

For example, if the horn were to start sounding without the button being pressed, they would have to fix that if the car is under warranty ... unless they find damage or a modification has caused this, or a lack of servicing (not that you service the horn)

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
I'd like to see that in the warranty. You can't make a warranty that broad. You can say that "trim squeaks and rattles" are only covered for a certain period of time/km, but not a wide statement like "no noises of any kind".

For example, if the horn were to start sounding without the button being pressed, they would have to fix that if the car is under warranty ... unless they find damage or a modification has caused this, or a lack of servicing (not that you service the horn)

Yes of course you are right, I was being a little hyperbolic for effect...

Obviously a waste of time.

Last edited:

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You sure it isnt purging the carbon canister, it makes a tick tick tick noise.

The Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Solenoid Valve sits on the passenger side of the intake manifold over the coil packs.