Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2011 VE SV6 II cruise control not working

Flynn21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hello I have recently bought a 2011 VE SV6 and I an having trouble with my cruise control. It just does not go on at all pressing the on/off button does nothing and I've had a look at some forums and I've seen some people have to push the tab down and it goes on but no matter what I do nothing happens. No light signifying its on or anything.

From what I've read so far it may be my brake switch needs to be adjusted, if its not that then I guess I should just take it to an auto electrician to get it checked out?

If anyone has had the same issue or knowledge on this to share it would be very appreciated.

gazzat

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve 3.6L commodore omega automatic
Hello I have recently bought a 2011 VE SV6 and I an having trouble with my cruise control. It just does not go on at all pressing the on/off button does nothing and I've had a look at some forums and I've seen some people have to push the tab down and it goes on but no matter what I do nothing happens. No light signifying its on or anything.

From what I've read so far it may be my brake switch needs to be adjusted, if its not that then I guess I should just take it to an auto electrician to get it checked out?

If anyone has had the same issue or knowledge on this to share it would be very appreciated.
hi Flynn. I wont put hand on heart with this (and i am a 80 yr old grease monkey, fabricator,electrician not that what i say treat it as 100%) now your brake light switch should only affect the cruise control when the cruise control is actually active as would normal be indicated with the words cruise control active. So when you get in your car and turn the key just to the on position (not the run) you should have the words cruise control on if not then you have other problems, even if you sat there and put your foot on the brake pedal when you press the button on the stalk you should have cruise control on, the only time the brake pedal comes into play with the cruise control is when you actually have the cruise active and within a millisecond your cruise control is detached. Sorry about the long answer but i like supplying people with as much info as possible as to minimise useless fault finding, so the long & short of it is no the brake light switch should not effect the on position of the control. I am assuming that you have checked the fuses and where possible the relays, fuses are in the bonnet bay and p/s kick panel, check for anything to do with brakes and or cruise control. Now for the bad news i have heard around the traps that sometimes the stalk that the cruise control is on tends to wear out bad soldering etc so it maybe that you might have to change your stalk over but check for voltages if you can first instead of just changing the stork. Cheers Garry

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Don't quote me on this,
But some cars have 2 Brake Switches on the peddle box, not sure on the VE's
1 for the Brake Lights,
1 for the Cruise Control to cancel it.

Are you running LED Brake Light globes ?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I have a similar problem with my Redline ute, although I can enable it.
After a short period of time, the cruise disconnects and wont reengage. A few minutes later and the cruise system turns off altogether. The only way to enable the system again is to cycle the ignition off/on. It plays nicely for a few minutes then it repeats the fault.

I scanned the system with 2 fault codes, one for system fault, the other for 'input signal invalid'.
I'm looking for a replacement cruise/indicator stalk.

gazzat

Reaction score
Members Ride
After a short period of time, the cruise disconnects and wont reengage. A few minutes later and the cruise system turns off altogether. The only way to enable the system again is to cycle the ignition off/on. It plays nicely for a few minutes then it repeats the fault.

I scanned the system with 2 fault codes, one for system fault, the other for 'input signal invalid'.

Hello. my disclaimer, i am not saying that i am 100% positive on this but you could be like me, i can switch on my cruise control but i cannot get it active and that is because i have abs & traction stability control problems as well and it wont activate because it doesn't know what wheel is doing what speed, according to 3 scanners each wheel sensor went at once (highly unlikely) i,m edging its one of the modules or wiring problem that has crapped it self. i have not had this car long and the old saying you are only buying someones else,s problems, i have just had to buy a brand new alternator because it threw a P0625-00 code then the P0500-00 car wheel sensors but when i do a deeper scan i get the 4 codes, 1 for each wheel, as i say that's why i think its one central point that has failed a fuse (but i have checked every fuse, under the bonnet bay p/s kick panel,the ones in the boot at the battery) so i am looking at the ecu,or bcm and wiring and major plug assemblies because only just yesterday it threw another 2 codes P0122,P2138 they are throttle/pedal/position sensor/switch 'D'/'E' so iv,e got voltage problems all over the car, to be honest i am 50/50 about whether to keep it or scrap it,i am a Pajero man and i only brought this while i do my major engine rebuild after 380k she was starting to show it's age but been reliable, i was a holden man till i got the Pajero about 10 years ago but from what i am reading about the newer fords,holdens are just so much troublesome, anyway my thoughts. So back to your problem it could be a start of wheel sensor problems as well, a loose connection or plug or same as me the ecu,bcm staring to have problems.Sorry but thats about all i can say and it maybe on the speed sensor side of things.cheers

gazzat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't quote me on this,
But some cars have 2 Brake Switches on the peddle box, not sure on the VE's
1 for the Brake Lights,
1 for the Cruise Control to cancel it.

Are you running LED Brake Light globes ?
Hello. Ok from what i can see on my 2006 VE V6 there is only the one switch, if i find anything else later i will post again. cheers

convas

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SSV
my wifes sv6 does the same thing, originally it would switch on if I pressed the on/off switch a few times, not it does not come on at all now.
I never had a problem with activating the cruise once it turned on.

I assume its the on/off switch is faulty but I have not bothered to really chase it as my wife never uses the cruise control.

gazzat

Reaction score
Members Ride
my wifes sv6 does the same thing, originally it would switch on if I pressed the on/off switch a few times, not it does not come on at all now.
I never had a problem with activating the cruise once it turned on.

I assume its the on/off switch is faulty but I have not bothered to really chase it as my wife never uses the cruise control.
hello. yep these cruise control problems from what i can see, fortunately i,ll have my pajero on the road and be happy again, i brought this ve Omega to keep me mobile whilst i rebuilt motor and box after 380k of near perfect reliability but this omega nothing but trouble. Sorry i digress but once i start it just grabs hold of me. Ok from what i gather after checking all the fuses and relays,what ever you are capable of checking under the bonnet behind p/s kick panel and where the battery is if you cant get the cruise to work then just check your MIL light is off (providing the bulb is working,naturally you will see that light up for a few seconds when the key is turned to on then go out if everything is ok) so if light is off just make sure you have no ABS or Traction stability problems because that will not let the cruise work.When you press do you get the message cruise is on or similar or you don't get that even.The list just goes on and on.But if you don't have an acknowledgement light then it could be the stalk (they have a bad history) if you get the light then it still would sound like abs or traction because the cruise doesn't know what speed the wheels they are rotating at so the module wont let it get activated. That's about all i can help you with quickly as you could write a short story on what to try and do.Cheers Garry

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Just recently I had a issue with the cruise control stalk on my VZ was sticking,
I removed it, then carefully removed the end cap/button (where you active it)
And gave it a dose of WD40 lithium spray,
Cleaned the excess off,
Re-installed it,
And it’s working perfectly,
Sometimes I even double check it, that it hasn’t stuck in the activate/resume position, as it’s very smooth now, like new.

Possibly it’s a connection issue internally,
Maybe give it a good dose of normal WB40.
If that doesn’t work,
It’s further down the line.

Reactions: Lex

convas

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SSV
hello. yep these cruise control problems from what i can see, fortunately i,ll have my pajero on the road and be happy again, i brought this ve Omega to keep me mobile whilst i rebuilt motor and box after 380k of near perfect reliability but this omega nothing but trouble. Sorry i digress but once i start it just grabs hold of me. Ok from what i gather after checking all the fuses and relays,what ever you are capable of checking under the bonnet behind p/s kick panel and where the battery is if you cant get the cruise to work then just check your MIL light is off (providing the bulb is working,naturally you will see that light up for a few seconds when the key is turned to on then go out if everything is ok) so if light is off just make sure you have no ABS or Traction stability problems because that will not let the cruise work.When you press do you get the message cruise is on or similar or you don't get that even.The list just goes on and on.But if you don't have an acknowledgement light then it could be the stalk (they have a bad history) if you get the light then it still would sound like abs or traction because the cruise doesn't know what speed the wheels they are rotating at so the module wont let it get activated. That's about all i can help you with quickly as you could write a short story on what to try and do.Cheers Garry
Hi,
I don't get message saying cruise on ... so I guess its mostly likely to be the stalk.