Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016 Holden Commodore Redline - stuffed transmission

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'd understand if it failed at low milage and under warranty but the cars coming up on 7 years old with 130,000km which unfortunately in this modern disposable society isn't considered low milage anymore.
I don’t agree in any way that that 7 years and 130,000kms is old, especially considering Holden sold a bunch of VF’s (in Auz) with a 7 year factory warranty.

My MSE has a 7 year factory warranty.
The only way your going to get any action is if you take it legal. As it stands the car is out of warranty,
As it stands the car is out of the voluntary factory warranty but the statutory warranty may still provide recourse. Problem is Holden are playing hardball at every step now that they shut shop..

Really car dealers and manufacturers have been playing games for years… but things changed when the Aussie manufacturers announced they’ll shut shop. ACCC showed some interest and started to take action since they were no longer fully captured :p

Just remember that Ford did the same with their DSG’s and blamed the owners for “not driving them correctly”. ACCC took them to court which fined Ford $10M for their shitfuckery and they had to still resolve the customer issues (quietly in the background).
Kia are under no obligation to do anything other than to tell you to bugger off.
This is blatantly wrong as the selling dealer and Kia’s ACL obligations don’t end when the factory warranty expires.

The fact Hyundai (and maybe Kia) have made an undertaking to ACCC to reevaluate some of their warranty/ACL claim denials may provide some hope for you to revisit your $5k repair cost (if we aren’t talking about an issue more than 7 years old)... Really, your gearbox failure should have been addressed at no cost to you under your ACL statutory warranty.

Last edited:

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
Pretty much this.

BTW ford trans coolers are on the engine.
BF-FG Falcons had a heat exchanger that used coolant to cool the ATF. Unfortunately suffered from metal fatigue leading to milkshake. Very expensive if you had the ZF 6-speed box. Smart people replaced them with old-school transmission cooler.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
i serviced my wife's 2017 ss redline auto at 5000ks dumped the oil and fitted a factory GM camaro deep trans pan and matching long filter pickup, adds an extra litre of trans oil
i will change the trans oil again when the car gets to 15000ks
its easy and cheap to do your self , less than $100
theirs no way i would leve oil in a trans for 150k
over time the auto trans bands wear, oil gets overheated and burnt cooked
i guess i,m old school and bought up servicing trans every 20k
as an old mechanic once told me oils cheap, you can never hurt an engine or trans doing frequent oil changes to keep the oil fresh and remove any wear partials
i recommend to any one at least change the auto or manual trans oil every 40k and at lest change the diff oil once before 5-10k mark
doing so removes the contaminants metal filings ect that can cause extra wear and shorten auto trans, gearbox and diff life

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
130k's is probably possible failure...with autos ive found they last longer if left in D and allowed to do their thing. My VX is at 170k's and I would expect the trans could need replacing before 200k , Im probably lucky its still shifting well and Im thinking the tow package cooler is giving me extra milage ... Im thinking the later model trans probably downshifts more plus has more gears so could be subject to more wear and tear... granted 130k is not exceptionally high...nonetheless sounds like normal wear and tear ....

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Pretty much this.

BTW ford trans coolers are on the engine.
Ford transmissions ran through the radiator like most cars with an automatic, even if they had an external cooler they still went through the radiators heat exchanger either before or after the external cooler in series.

This was a major problem that affected the entire BA line, and still had intermittent issues with following models.

We lost 3-4 fleet BA's to this issue back in the day.

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Just remember that Ford did the same with their DSG’s and blamed the owners for “not driving them correctly”. ACCC took them to court which fined Ford $10M for their shitfuckery and they had to still resolve the customer issues (quietly in the background).
I was impacted by this fault on one of my work vehicles and was told I was driving it wrong.

However the problem here was this was a widespread fault, caused by a known defect that ACCC eventually won on because it impacted most if not all of those transmissions.

I'd argue that one persons trans of which we know nothing of the background of failing at 130,000km isn't a known or fault with the unit itself, more an unfortunate failure of a particular internal component.

Theres a big difference between one persons part failing before they'd expect it to, and an actual known proven defective part that plagues a line of vehicles which is when the ACCC should be getting involved, not over one transmission failure.

I do understand ACL's stance on this, however I personally would be inclined to side with Holden the big corporate devil on this one. If I was manufacturing a part and 1 out of 500,000 failed after 7 years even if it had done 5000km and it was outside the statuatory warranty I provided I'd be pretty annoyed if a customer came to me trying to claim it's my fault and I should fix it. One persons transmission who we can only go at face value here didn't abuse it and had it serviced failing after 7 years, doesn't constitute a faulty part, I'd just consider it wear and tear and part and parcel of owning a vehicle.

My $2500 laptop is 3 years old, covered by a 12 month stat warranty. But if hypothetically it failed after 3-4 years I'm not going to take it into Apple demanding they replace it because I feel it SHOULD have lasted longer than that.

Last edited:

Dixon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Holden Commodore Redline
Our SS-V redline has done 130,000 kms, serviced at correct times its entire life, not had a rough life and the auto transmission has just gone. full of metal filings. Holden are refusing to come to the party as outside of warranty - no-one can explain "how" it has happened and we just would not believe that this car would only do 130,000kms and the transmission go. Has anyone else had this issue?
Lots of comments on here… serviced religiously, never towed anything other than the odd light trailer. Never driven too hard, has had a very easy life.. we will see what consumer commission says.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Lots of comments on here… serviced religiously, never towed anything other than the odd light trailer. Never driven too hard, has had a very easy life.. we will see what consumer commission says.
Oil ever changed ?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Our SS-V redline has done 130,000 kms, serviced at correct times its entire life, not had a rough life and the auto transmission has just gone. full of metal filings. Holden are refusing to come to the party as outside of warranty - no-one can explain "how" it has happened and we just would not believe that this car would only do 130,000kms and the transmission go. Has anyone else had this issue?

Sounds like the gearbox never had a service......

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
i understand you have cared and had it serviced regularly but the part thats failed is the auto trans, had you ever had it serviced
oil and filter changed
as 130k is a lot of kilometers on the trans oil if its still got the factory oil fill from new
it could even have been low on oil if it was never checked