Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016 sv6 bimodal exhaust

Mag5000

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SV6 Black Edition
Hi all ,new to forum and after bit help . Just purchased 2016 sv6 black edition sedan that is fitted with rear muffler delete pipes and would like to return it back to standard as its very loud. So trying to work out if it should have bimodal exhaust fitted from new and cannot see any wiring at rear of car for them. Thanks for any help

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Hi all ,new to forum and after bit help . Just purchased 2016 sv6 black edition sedan that is fitted with rear muffler delete pipes and would like to return it back to standard as its very loud. So trying to work out if it should have bimodal exhaust fitted from new and cannot see any wiring at rear of car for them. Thanks for any help

the sv6 never had bi modal so you wont have any wiring and the only part of the factory v8 exhaust that is bi modal are the rear mufflers.

Mag5000

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the info:)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Mag5000, you could always install a V8 bimodal mufflers at the rear of your standard V6 exhaust and then build a circuit to switch the bimodal flap on and off.

No idea what it would actually sound like with a V6 pumping the gas down exhaust but it shouldn’t be worse that the muffler delete pipe when the flap is open and maybe much quieter with it closed.

The thread that describes building the control circuit is below..

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/electronic-bi-modal-valves.272608/

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
the other obvious option is to do something like the xforce varex muffler
you can get all fancy with it with bluetooth control if you pay for that module, and change its open-ness based on location, rpm, all sorts of things

ads_german

Reaction score
I've got a VF SV6 as well, swapped out the rear mufflers for some bimodal ones off a series 2 v8, controlled by this as I didn't have the time/desire to make up my own: Bimodal Retrofit Module - Ultimate Conversion Wiring

Works perfectly - pretty much standard sounding in quiet mode, then a fair bit more noise in loud mode. Doesn't sound great in loud mode if you're just punting around in normal traffic (too droney), but at WOT from about 3.5k revs and above, it sounds fantastic in my opinion - more like a nissan VQ series engine type note than a typical sv6 with a loud exhaust. Mine is a manual though...

It's the best of both worlds for me - I spend 95% of my time with it in quiet mode, then loud for the occasional blat on empty roads.

Mag5000

Reaction score
Members Ride
After considering different aftermarket exhaust systems or retrofitting bimodal mufflers plus wiring have decided to return car back to standard - cost $150 second hand set mufflers . Spent my money on 5 new tyres to make the car more safer , car is factory optioned with 20inch HSVi Barreta wheels and SV6 spare.Thanks again