Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2018 Holden Commodore details released

EternityDre

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE #385
I love it, absolutely love it and if it was already on the market I would buy one for my daughter right now.

Can I ask, as someone who is genuinely interested in this car, how do you see it positioned vs say Mondeo and Mazda 6?
What about this car makes you want it for your daughter, that the above competition doesn't already offer?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

I agree with many here, the use of the Commodore name is a huge marketing error.

ain't that the truth!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Can I ask, as someone who is genuinely interested in this car, how do you see it positioned vs say Mondeo and Mazda 6?
What about this car makes you want it for your daughter, that the above competition doesn't already offer?

94f0cb21bd56b93e42b4e712200eced6.jpg

blakethemus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
"There’s noticeably less shoulder width (58mm less, with 44mm less hip room) but the new Commodore/Insignia is still a roomy car. And despite a sweeping rear roofline that cuts head room by 13mm"

Better be priced pretty cheap because if it's at current Commodore prices they won't sell a single one.

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
Hmm, and the "SS" V6 version has AFM.

Why don't they just call it a Camira and be done with it.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I'm going to reserve judgement on this one. I have been looking at a AWD wagon as my next car purchase (while off). From what I have read, they do not plan to release the sportwagon version of this with the AWD v6, which is a pity because depending on looks I could have gotten on board with that!

The artist renditions of the sportwagon are horrible. I hope it doesn't turn out like that, very ugly. However I do not mind the look of the current Insignia Station Wagon, so I still hold out hope. Price is going to be the big factor. If they release this with the the current 'Commodore' pricing then it won't sell at all.

I don't mind it not being a V8, this was foreseeable. The greenies are winning.

It certainly has my interest in the interim as I am a Holden fan, end of story.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think it'll have a lower RRP.
I've just looked at the comparison between the ~$40k SV6 auto sedan and ~$37k Mondeo Trend hatch, and the Mondeo out-everythings the SV6 except for appearance-related stuff (mostly wheels), rear passenger-area width for 3 adults (and how often do most people carry 3 adults back there?), and probably outright performance (although turbo torque is worth something in middling-load usage).

They may charge the ~$40k for the top-spec AWD V6, but everything else has to be cheaper, probably starting at high 20's if the base one has Camry spec levels.

blakethemus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
rear passenger-area width for 3 adults (and how often do most people carry 3 adults back there?),

It isn't 3 adults in the back, it's the 3 kids car seats/booster seats that don't fit in a narrow cars.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It isn't 3 adults in the back, it's the 3 kids car seats/booster seats that don't fit in a narrow cars.
Oh it'll be easy wide enough for that ish, it's still way roomier than any 4WD/SUV inside!

Brabham

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitrate VF2 SSVR
I don't want to keep beating on this car, as I think despite the camo, it might be a good looking car.

b0949d33d6e30a12d32ebf7375c2450c

feca4f34677e32215a4a3b0808d93166

But I guess like most on this particular forum, it is mainly because of the badge they are putting on the back. If it were called something else, it would just be another Holden I wouldn't buy.

If the VFII wasn't both rear wheel drive and a V8, I wouldn't have looked at it. At the risk of sounding like a badge snob, I would take a Euro and Japanese cars over anything made here or the US.

My recent Holden purchase, along with my current ride, offer me something that my preferred brands charge double (or more) for.

This vehicle will be alongside some very good competition. The very lease it deserves is it's own brand.