Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2018 Holden Commodore details released

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I can see some good points on the 2018 car, in V6 form 230Kw 370Nm torque with a 9 speed auto in a lighter body sounds good, in newspaper article today suggests weight estimate at 1400-1500Kg (I'm sceptical about that weight claim), but I'm sure it would be a quite a lot less than the current approx 1700Kg. Downside no V8, but that V6 in a lighter body should go very well. From a towing aspect front drive isn't good, I tow a 19'6" dual axle caravan that weighs over 1500Kg with my SS. The 2018 Commodore just wouldn't be suitable to tow that van. From Holden's viewpoint with the number of people buying diesel light trucks and SUV's etc. for most that tow rating of 2100Kg of the current car probably isn't considered a big loss. Hopefully the "A" pillar in the new car isn't as thick as the current car (probably my number one dislike of the VE).

The pillars at the Pantheon aren't as thick as a VZ-VF

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
That was supposed to be the new Pontiac GTO. However, thanks to GM and the Gov Co bailout, they were told to get rig of the Division (Pontiac) and the model got tossed in the trash bin. Is a matter of fact... I still want one.
I don't think there was ever going to be a 2dr VE was there? And that appears to be a PhotoShop of VS styling onto the Coupe 60?
The Coupe 60 was always just a show car, never more.
But then ... I guess the same was true of the original VT-based 2dr show car. :)

I can see some good points on the 2018 car, in V6 form 230Kw 370Nm torque with a 9 speed auto in a lighter body sounds good, in newspaper article today suggests weight estimate at 1400-1500Kg (I'm sceptical about that weight claim), but I'm sure it would be a quite a lot less than the current approx 1700Kg. Downside no V8, but that V6 in a lighter body should go very well. From a towing aspect front drive isn't good, I tow a 19'6" dual axle caravan that weighs over 1500Kg with my SS. The 2018 Commodore just wouldn't be suitable to tow that van. From Holden's viewpoint with the number of people buying diesel light trucks and SUV's etc. for most that tow rating of 2100Kg of the current car probably isn't considered a big loss. Hopefully the "A" pillar in the new car isn't as thick as the current car (probably my number one dislike of the VE).
If they engineer the car to be able to tow, it'll be able to tow; whether they do or not is a different matter, they seem to tow 80' yachts around with Corsas in Europe & not care. :)
Most people (here) are conditioned to accepting that you need a commercial vehicle to tow, and given that Holden make sooooo much more profit per-vehicle with those, there's no incentive for them to make the Insignia a capable tow vehicle.

The lower weights claimed will be FWD 4cyl models, the AWD V6 won't be appreciably lighter than an SV6.

Last edited:

Comfal

Reaction score
The 2.0T requires premium fuel so any advantage in fuel economy over the 3.6 would be negated by the extra cost in fuel.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
Oh it'll be easy wide enough for that ish, it's still way roomier than any 4WD/SUV inside!
I doubt it mate, I recently went to a car show and there was a VF SSV there with three babies in the back, all in car seats, and they were pretty much squshed in there only just fitting with the doors shut.

MYSS94

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSVR | VU2 SS Ute
http://www.caradvice.com.au/504474/...-wraps-come-off-fully-imported-family-hauler/

opel-insignia-hatch-spy-11.jpg

opel-insignia-wagon-spy-3-side.jpg

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I wish the company well, but I won't be buying this vehicle. Nothing about it says 'Holden Commodore' to me (4cyl FWD..um..no..) It's just the latest in a long line of Euro imports. Sticking a couple of badges on it doesn't change that fact.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I can't put my finger on it but the wagon looks wrong. The sedan looks pretty good thought but I want to drive a V8!

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
they only have 2 babyseat/capsule points, says this in another article,

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I can't put my finger on it but the wagon looks wrong. The sedan looks pretty good thought but I want to drive a V8!

Its the rear quarter panel and c pillar. Awkward and clunky.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
The four panes of glass along the side of the wagon screams hearse. Not enough chin and too much azz on those rides.