Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 go fast

W

White202

Hey im new here and i just bought a VC commodore today. Its a stock SL with a 202 and a trimatic.

Im on a $1000 budget and would like to know the best way to make it go a lot faster (stopping quick is good too). Any replies would be appreciated.

D

Dogmeat

first thing youd want to do is a service with new fluids and filters because that will set the stage for any more serious improvements you want to make to it then you can just go anyway you want with exhaust systems, cams, intake etc hope this has helped in some way

cheers

MoSkA

Steriotypical Wog
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Subaru WRX
Yeah then for the VL RB30, sell that and buy a VX SS.

R

ripfast

pull it down cam maybe some head work, do the work yourself and save $$$

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
its a blue motor yer - what colour is the motor. Red untill VB i think and then black on VK. If it has a 12 port head then thats really nice, some porting and a cam will go a long way. 12 port heads have from memory separate exhaust manifold pipes where as 9 port heads share exhaust pipes 2 at a time.

Straight away piss of the varajet carby and put a 350 holley or the likes, it will chew the juice but you'll go like the clappers. The secret being to keep the polution hoses and make it look like they go somewhere cause VCs must keep polution gear.

Thirdly is a 2 1/4inch exhaust with extractors for about a 10 - 20% power increase. Pick all that stuff up from wreckers and do most of it yourself and you should be sweet. (My VB 5ltr years ago i did the extractors and then drove the bastard 30min to exhaust shop and it was throwing flames)

If you just do the carby and exhause and buy it all second hand then it should cost you $5-600. Shop around, it always pays to research.

VksupaNoob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk sl
which hoses bucket??

hey bucket i have got 350 holley on a black 202 in a vk a recently *borrowed* off a mate... just wondering wat hoses are the polution ones - where do they run from and to ?? their is 3 holes on the top my motor, i think one is an oil thingy and the one at the back has a thingy coming out of it.. must check where that is going and yer the one in the middle of the block has nothing on it at all... i hav seen other vks with little filters on the top of it?? is this for pollution??
need sum clues
Patty

SSGEN-3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II, VT SS II
Bucket said:
Thirdly is a 2 1/4inch exhaust with extractors for about a 10 - 20% power increase.

I recently bought a 2 1/4 sports exhaust for my VC. How much do extractors cost, and will they affect the fuel consumption?

Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Crapbox
As for the hoses, you will have polution hoses on post 1976 cars that must be hooked up, usually connected to vacuum parts on the carb down low and they need to be hooked up simply for emissions reasons, its a big fine if the coppers hate you and ask you to pop the bonnet.

As for the extractors, make some calls mate to wreckers and get some prices, each wrecker is different. Dont buy em new as its double the price and extractors dont wear... As for the fuel, if you put your foot down the power is used 2 ways. The same amount of petrol will give you more power and you will go faster or less petrol (accelerator) will give you the same speed so yes you could save money or no, you will go faster for same money.

Daza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
If it's standard a few budget mods
  • Air filter, either drill holes in the base or go the fully exposed element type. If you do drill holes in the base make sure they are on the outside of the element otherwise there will be no more filtered air. A ramflow works well.
  • Exhaust, 2 1/4" or a 2" with a big muffler. We used to use a big single muffler glass pack straight through with a resonator. All steel mufflers work better but will drone a bit. Extractors will help a lot but will cost a few $$. Make sure your EGR is working well or remove it COMPLETLY. If it is sticky it will keep excess heat in the inlet manafold robbing a bit of power.
  • I would keep the Varijet carb as these have 3 stage metering (better econmy, more power) rather than a holley that has 2 stage metering (320,350 or 500)but block up the extra smog ports on it. With extractors it should make it run leaner so you wont need to get it rejetted. Make sure the carby is in good condition though no wear/leaks through the throttle shaft. A manual choke conversion to ensure it isnt closing during WOT.
  • Get a black motor ignition. New plugs and leads if they are faulty. An old trick used to be always give the coil 12 volts.
It will look stock bar for the extractors. There are a few other mods like diff , reground cam that will go better but will go outside the budget maybe?
Good Luck