Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 HP Gain

RayRay07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
Hey just wanted to find out how much horse power gain the following mods from stock specs of the black 202 in the vk which i have done/goin to?

-Extractors into 2 1/4 exhaust
-Electronic Distributor
-Weber 34adm transplant
-twin thermo fans from v8 vt

also just replaced original radiator with new 3 row radiator

thanks

Trav001

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 VH SL 3.3 Litre 5 speed, 2002 VY Executive
well a 202 blue originaly had about 85kw when it was produced cant remember what the black had. a Thermo fan makes a power gain of about 10%. I run a 250c.f.m webber, I dunno what gain I get but I know this much it can go, same with the extractors, Ive heard the optimum power gain is from a exhaust about 2 1/4" to 2 1/2 " mine also runs a lumpy cam so then again results would differ, sounds like a great set up tho :thumbsup:

philbio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK + VY Gas Cars
-Extractors into 2 1/4 exhaust
-twin thermo fans from v8 vt
thanks

What brand extractors do you use and do you still have the EGR on the extractors?

What do you use to control the fans and what do you use as a fan shroud (if anything)?

Regards Phil

RayRay07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
im, im pre sure there geni extractor, nah EGR is gone.
dont have the thermo fans on yet, but how should i go about puttin them on?

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
a Thermo fan makes a power gain of about 10%. :

Someone has been brainwashed!
A fixed blade holden engine fan will soak up about 3kW at 5000rpm, much less than that at lower rpm where one would do most of their driving, and rises as the square of the engine speed. If you are interested in dyno challenges at high rpm, dont use an engine fan.....but otherwise the energy used by the fan in road use( what most of us use the cars for) isnt wasted like it is on the dyno.....
If you use a clutch fan then the losses are neglible, unless the fan engages when it is hot(about 1% of the time).....in that case you'll be needing your fan anyway.
Spend your money on things that are going to make a difference.

Ignition, dont you already have an electronic ignition?

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
VK carbs had EST, you should get much power gain going to electronic caus their exactly the same as the EST, just the EST uses a different method to find out when to spark, the electronic will be more reliable, but not as effiecient.
Thermo's would let it rev up quicker, and cause less engine drag, great for economy, not very much for power unless you like revving your engine in neutral it will rev up noticeably quicker, but you wont notice much when driving.
Webber should bring low down torque with about more power, dont have a figure but its a good conversion with a bonus for economy.
Extractors and exhaust is said to be around 5-10kw gain each depending on the engine.

Adam Perth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore ute
Ray ray, thought about a cam change?
that will change things...

RayRay07

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
yes, have actually thought about changing the cam, but am unsure of what cam to get.
what is a good choice in a cam?

matt08

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH weekender & 80 series cruiser daily
Want the best bang for your bucks? cut all the way around your air cleaner housing so that the filter element is fully exposed. Basicly like the chrome ones shown on this page.lets it breath heaps better. reportedly good for 14hp. either way i noticed it made a big difference when i did it.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Want the best bang for your bucks? cut all the way around your air cleaner housing so that the filter element is fully exposed. Basicly like the chrome ones shown on this page.lets it breath heaps better. reportedly good for 14hp. either way i noticed it made a big difference when i did it.

LMAO 14HP, no offense but not a chance you would get close to that gain from cutting your air cleaner housing.