Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 not running right

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
This is in a HZ tunna.....but being a 202 I figured yous could possibly help. :thumbsup:

My bro bought the ute about 2 months ago. It had been sitting for about 2-3 years, then my bro bought it. He had a qwik spin b4 he bought it and it ran fine. When he got it home it was running fine while unloading off the trailer and parking it.

Then oneday it started misfiring and popping out the exhaust, and we haven't been able to fix it. It seems to be the same cylinder misfiring, as there's no difference in duration between the misfires and pops.

It's a blue 202 with an M20. We first did the timing, but it was ok. We put new leads and a dizzy cap on, but it still didn't fix it. We were told by a mechanic that the carby was stuffed so we put another one on, nope not that either....still misfiring and popping. Today we put another head on it incase it was a dodgy valve or sumfin....but nope still misfiring and popping.

The day after it came home we gave it a service, chucked new oil, filter and plugs in. And I rekon it's been doing it since then.

The only other thing I can think of is possibly the lobes on the cam worn down (altho if that were the case, the misfire wouldn't of happened overnight)....or maybe a dodgy lifter. As it seems to have started misfiring and popping since the service I'm really startin to think it's a dodgy lifter. I guess it could have a bit of crap in it, so it ain't pumping up. Oh and the pushrods seem straight.

Any ideas? :bang:

We told my bro that when me and Brad change the motors over in PEAKN6, we'll just chuck a carby on it and put it straight into his ute. But yeah not sure yet.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Hmmm i was going to say the timing is up the creek but you've done all that.

Could be a lazy lifter. Might also be something electric as well.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Wat sort of electrical problem do u rekon it could be? We also put a new coil on it. Do u rekon we should put another dizzy in it?

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Throw one in, then see if the miss is still there. It can't hurt really.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Are you using the same plugs you put in when you did the oil change, you mentioned you changed the plugs then. Determine which cylinder is missing and swap plugs over and see if the miss moves cylinders.

starfire vc

now on 10 pound
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo, RB30ET VH wagon, 64 EH in the build.
is it running point igniton or electronic??

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
It's running electronic ignition. Yeah the plugs we put in when we gave it a service are still in there. If I get time 2morrow I might go over to his place and first switch around the plugs, then try changing over the dizzy.

Cheers for the help guys! :thumbsup:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
haha i agree with N.A.A.F. sounds like a dodgey spark plug i remember craigvk had a similar problem a while back, new plugs but turns out one of the new one's was a dud

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
haha i agree with N.A.A.F. sounds like a dodgey spark plug i remember craigvk had a similar problem a while back, new plugs but turns out one of the new one's was a dud

Lol I remember that thread. I'm really gonna be pi$$ed if it's just a spark plug.....all the hours we've worked on it just to be a dodgy plug. But on the other hand if it is just a dodgy plug atleast it's gonna be a simply fix.

When we changed the heads over 2day, Brad mixed the plugs up so if it was a plug it would be a diff cylinder misfiring. But I guess it wouldn't really matter coz the duration in between the misfires would be the same.

Well let's just hope it's a dodgy plug. :bang:

dreamcatchu

sick puppy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
chances are that it is a dodgy plug, i had that issue on mine after the head work, turned out that 2 of the new plugs i bought were dodgy, seems to be a very common problem lately