Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20's on a VS

Backy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII S ute
just bought a 2000 model VS SIII ute, and being a young bloke i want to lower it and put 20's on it.ha but i have been told many stories and differents views on:

*wether it will be legal
*wether or not insurance will disregard my policy if i have them on and have an accident.
* something about the rims not being allowed to go 2 inch's more then what the car originally came out with.
* wether they will fit, without modifications

just wondering if people can help me out here and tell me wats the go.

Cheers

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
just bought a 2000 model VS SIII ute, and being a young bloke i want to lower it and put 20's on it.ha but i have been told many stories and differents views on:

*wether it will be legal
*wether or not insurance will disregard my policy if i have them on and have an accident.
* something about the rims not being allowed to go 2 inch's more then what the car originally came out with.

Cheers
y
isurance will slamm you if you have 20inch and dont tell them( most will not let you got to 20inch) ilegal>><<<im not sure but theres plenty of vs commies out there with 20inch weels.as for mods to get them to fit? i cant help you on that 1.......

Backy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII S ute
yeah i will tell them but just wondering wat i can get done e.g enginerring certificate for them to be more inclined to let me.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
yeah i will tell them but just wondering wat i can get done e.g enginerring certificate for them to be more inclined to let me.

give it time ...some jc members will help you out on those issues(i would but i have no idea on that side of things and wouldnt want to lead you up the wrong path)just hang in there im sure some of the rev heads lol and non rev heads will guide you into the right path...best wishes champ

gem05

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO RIDE AT THE MOMENT
My insurance company only asked if I had none factory wheels,they didnt ask what size,it all goes under optional/aftermarket extras which they do charge you a bit extra to insure the car,but if you got $2000 wheels and $1000 tyres well its worth paying a bit more for insurance.That 2" rule no longer applies as long as the tyres are the correct fit for the wheels then its ok.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
That 2" rule no longer applies as long as the tyres are the correct fit for the wheels then its ok.

It does in some states which is why you should be careful asking questions like this on a forum. People will give you advice based on their own states laws which could be completely wrong for you

Keep in mind just because the insurance have covered the wheels in the policy, they can still void you insurance claim if you have an accident if the wheels aren't legal.

To give you a guide on what will fit I have a VS stato with SL's and 19's and when I had 245's on it, the tyres rubbed the guards when cornering. I changed my tyres to 235's and its fine.

gem05

Reaction score
Members Ride
NO RIDE AT THE MOMENT
OP is from NSW so he will be ok and as I said as long as the tyres fit the wheels which 235's are what he should put on them,the tyres need to fit the rims thats the rules.

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo

*wether it will be legal

Cheers

2 inch bigger rule is no longer used it's 15mm bigger overall rolling diameter, so 245/30R20 should be fine. My insurance policy covers everything as long as it's legal, which 20s are. Keep in mind though it is a ute so you might struggle to find appropriate load rated tyres, incorrect load rating = defect = void insurance

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
you will get alot of rubbing on the inside of the rear guards with 20's and a bit of lowering.

Matty o

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VU SS UTE
had 20's on my vs ute 2000 model had no dramas apart from a bit of rubbing in the rear lol