Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

22" rims cracking

Khabel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V
I've currently got 20" 8.5 inch rims on my ride and want to go larger in width on the back so thought I might go larger in diameter at the same time as 20" look too small for the size of the car.

The local mag shop said that commodores have a habit of cracking rims if they go larger that 20", has anyone experienced this problem?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Really depends on the quality of the rim, the tyre size you choose and obviously how bad the roads are.

If youre going 22" youre going to be using very thin tyres which has less cushioning for harsher roads and in turn can cause a cracked wheel.

I wouldnt say its common, but yes it does happen. Even 20" has its issues with buckles and cracks.

flexcenlexcen

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6 auto acclaim and vn lexcen v6 manual
its not a lack of rim quality at all
most alloy wheels are cast alloy which is like swiss cheese forged rims not so much so its full of weak spots and with such little rubber to absorb impacts its only a matter of time increasing your tire pressures will help 40psi for tires 40 45 series 44psi plus for 25 30 35 series tires this will make for a very firm ride but will offer some protection from rim cracking

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
I've currently got 20" 8.5 inch rims on my ride and want to go larger in width on the back so thought I might go larger in diameter at the same time as 20" look too small for the size of the car.

The local mag shop said that commodores have a habit of cracking rims if they go larger that 20", has anyone experienced this problem?

No, 20"s do not look too small on a Commodore. 22" on the other hand, looks ridiculous and are horribly impractical. do your self a favor and avoid them.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I personally think massive wheels look stupid. Instead of seeing some nice rubber, you see all the mechanical crap behind the wheel. Yeah looks so much better. Unless you go with a massive brake kit to fill the larger rims.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
its not a lack of rim quality at all

most alloy wheels are cast alloy which is like swiss cheese

Little bit of a contradiction there.

Some wheels are better than others. For example, the replicas of Holden wheels, they are a bit hit and miss quality wise and a lot of them tend to crack. You can buy wheels that are made of a lot better material, made in different countries, made to stricter specifications etc.

Saying that its not the quality of the wheel that can contribute to a crack is like saying lack of oil is not a contributor to your lifters exploding.

Is an expensive high quality wheel immune to cracks? No. Driving surface, tyre quality/size/pressure all have an impact.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
I've currently got 20" 8.5 inch rims on my ride and want to go larger in width on the back

Good idea but not in 22s.

With 245/35R20 you have some tyre to protect those rims but with 22s I believe they run a 245/25R22 and are too large in diameter so illegal but also the tyre sidewall is a lot thinner then 20s so any impact will damage the rims.

Something like a 22x10 45P rim will probably never fit unless your car is high like a US DONK car and what's the point in that extra width when it won't mean more tration??? Top Gear Australia tested a Walkinshaw improved SS on 22s. Said it handled like poo. Put 20s on it with the same tyre, cut 2 seconds of their lap times (has been awhile since I saw it but made a huge difference)

Get 20x8.5s 245/35R20s and 20x10 285/30R20s FTW

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Nearly every time the subject of 22's comes up, someone mentions that Top Gear test!

The thing is, most people who get 22's like the look - their car doesn't see a track, let alone trying to cut split seconds off lap times.

But yeah, I can see how it wouldn't handle quite as well.

No, 20"s do not look too small on a Commodore. 22" on the other hand, looks ridiculous

^^ That's your opinion - each to their own.

btw I have 20's, so don't flame me! It's just that I have seen some nice looking VE's on 22's (IMO) and I can see why people do it.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Nearly every time the subject of 22's comes up, someone mentions that Top Gear test!

The thing is, most people who get 22's like the look - their car doesn't see a track, let alone trying to cut split seconds off lap times

haha I know but it's fact! 22s handle rubbish. Most guys then come back on here with threads like;
'my car handles rubbish should I buy new shocks'
'what size wheels?'
'22s'
'.........'

To me a 35 series tyre and up on an 8-8.5 wide rim gives a comfortable ride any less is a waste of time for daily driving IMHO