Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

22's On VY R8

rhinos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8
Ok maybe Iam just a little excited about huge wheels and big brakes but for now I guess I will stick with a deeper dish 8.5" x 20" Rim. I know Diablo Wheels run a mad chrome plated range of wheels... Anyone else know any other brands of nicely dished 20's?

p.s. Iam running 245/30/20's on my stock spring height R8?? You say they scrub? Although the 245's are only on the back. I can see where you would run into trouble up under the front strut tower...

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
With little work i've seen a few people run a 9.5"x20" with a 265/30 tyre, try that. have a nice 5inches of dish.

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
With little work i've seen a few people run a 9.5"x20" with a 265/30 tyre, try that. have a nice 5inches of dish.
'little work' = flared guards?

Lets not forget that 225/35 barely clears the guard with FE2. I can't imagine how 265s fit with a 'little work' either that or they have 4wd suspension or they can only drive on perfectly flat roads or they have unusable amounts of camber :p

Just because it can be done doesn't make it a good idea.

smitheyes

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice,HQmonaro,,KTM530
saw a ve ute with 22's on the other day looked killer. dont know if youd get them under a vy but imo they'd look fantastic.

ParkwayDrv

Slave to the game
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
vy ss on 22's, i beileve they are 245/30/22 92w

SDC10917.jpg

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
LOL, looks stupid.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Hey I was wondering if anyone is running 22's on there VY? I just Bought a Clubby on 20's and am wanting to go a little larger in size. Any thoughts, recommendations or advice on this matter??

As other people have indicated here, you cannot run a 22 inch wheel and tyre combination that is legal and will fit the car.

In QLD as in most other States you must retain the minimum load rating as for the standard tyres fitted by the manufacturer and, secondly, you must retain speedo accuracy in which ever tyre/wheel combination is fitted. In other words the unloaded diameter of the tyre will have to be the same size as the original equipment tyres fitted by HSV to the VY - not the 20s you have now which are not original.

You cannot go with a very wide and very low profile 22 inch tyre that will meet both of these requirements because the tyre that meets the requirements will need to be much too wide to fit the vehicle.

You may well be able to buy a 245 30 22 tyre that meets the minimum load requirements but that that profile tyre in 22 inch will be too large in diameter to retain speedo accuracy because the diameter of the tyre is much too large compared with the original equipment tyres fitted to the car. The car - the VY - pictured in the post above, if running those tyres, will more than likely have an illegal tyre /wheel combination.

Finally, if you have comprehensive insurance on your car you have to disclose wheel changes to the insurance company as it is a vehicle modification. If you do not the company does not have to pay any claim you make regardless of what it is. I very much doubt that most - if any - insurance companies will accept a 22 inch wheel modification on a VY commodore.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
way toooo big on that vy lol. i would hate to feel bumps or have a full car in that thing