Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

253 won't start

Natstar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Exec
Thanks Ari666 i'll be leaving the carby alone for now. It's idling fine so no point changing it. I am hoping I found the problem but not having the right tools kinda sucks. I tested the spark plugs last night to see if its giving a weak spark and basically to get it to spark at all I had to hold it directly on the rocker cover so i'm now thinking it is a weak spark. They also looked quite good, no black soot on them but a healthy red colour so i have eliminated fuel is the issue. The dizzy cap looks pretty crap inside so I tried to sand it down with no luck. Would be easier if I had a volt meter to be sure but my thoughts are that when its under load and the rotor is spinning faster its not arcing correctly hence the choking when I accelerate. Either way it won't hurt to replace the cap anyway but would this cause the issues or just be part of the problem? It's electronic BTW.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah mate, change the cap and rotor button. even the smallest amounts of that white crap in there and i ditch them. sanding does help, but it increases the gap between rotor and button which decreases the spark at the plug.

i also suggest buying a cheap-o crap ebay dizzy cap and button. they are smaller and cheaper than the large cap bosch, and when i say cheaper i mean CHEAPER. think a cap and button will set you back 15-20 bucks, whereas the large bosch cap alone was 30 bucks last time i checked. but the big plus is that you have more room around your dizzy which means you have more scope for turning it.

just my opinion, im sure others will disagree.

bjwynd

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sl
actualy coils are lazy and thats why they have a gap without a gap the coil dosent produce that much amps to increace the amps they give them a gap wich makes the coil produce more amps and gives more spark how do i know this is my partners uncle is a mecanic