Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

28 spline axles

djr4917

Reaction score
Hey, I bought a diff housing from a VL to fit into my VK and has almost all I need. Disc brakes, 4 pinion LSD center and the gears I need. I'm just missing the axles but also having problems finding second hand ones.
Anyone one know where I should look in Melbourne or if anyone has any other ideas on on to get ahold of a pair it would be much obliged.
It's not a huge HP motor. I'm only expecting 250 to 300 HP out of my 202 so I want to avoid spending $800 on a new pair. Also the gearbox is a shift kitted trimatic if that matters.
All the threads I found relating to this topic were quite old so sorry for posting something that has been brought up a few times but I'm hoping for something to change.

djr4917

Reaction score
So I'm guessing they are still hard to get? Well where would be a good place to get new axles?

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
ahhh maybe a diff shop?....its a simple search in the yellow pages and a phone call away

djr4917

Reaction score
I still want to avoid spending $800 if I can help it. Everyone quotes me about that for the axles. I don't need billet axles so I was hoping there were cheaper options.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
$300 for a complete 28 spline diff? point me in that direction ill buy 10 thanks

djr4917

Reaction score
The diff I bought was complete minus the axles and I paid $300 + I got a set of gears and a sway bar. $300 for a 25 spline sounds right though.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
yes $300 for a 25 spline rear end disk to disk.

$650+ for a 28 spline diff easy

Young gun

Dream BIG!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
79 vb
Would a chopped down vn axels work? Vl diff 40mm shorter ant there is excess spline on vn axels if can they can be shorted by 20mm each and still have enough spline to slip into Centre could be a cheep way around it. And then tell me if it works :)

djr4917

Reaction score
I've read into that. It apparently works for mini spools but not LSD's, unless you increase the length of the spline. I wouldn't risk doing it at work but I'm looking for a gear cutting / engineering shop that can do it properly.