Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

285 kW flash into VY2 SS ute, goes slower.

LYV Y R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS Ute
Did a search onsite for this, surprised no hits, so here goes.
Put 285kW HSV flash into my VY2 SS ute with airbox mods, cat back 2 1/2 exhaust.
Now takes a full second longer to get from 2000 rpm to 5000 rpm in 3rd gear, flat ground.
And don't feel the 'surge' in power from about 3800 like it used to on stock 245 kW tune.
Doesn't show as lean or anything data logging it, and was on 91 octane before, 98 for the 285 flash, but I still see knock sensors work a bit on timing curve on 285 flash.
Have I just proved it's a bullshit deal, or has some-one actually dyno'ed before and after as 'a good thing' as opposed to my 'blacktop dyno' test, and I've got something not right?
Another thing I noticed is IAT is at ambient temp all the time, which I'm thinking discounts the hype over CAI mods, no?.
Only advantage I could see is 1 less bend in pipe to manifold.
Again, has anyone actually dyno'ed before and after, or do they just pay for an overpriced piece of plastic, and live in blissful ignorance?
Not that dyno replicates the supposed advantage in this case anyhow, but my logging does actually show real world.
Cheers
G

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Where did you get it from?

Pretty skeptical of mail order tunes or flashes that promise X amount of power, particularly with no dynograph. I don't even think there is a factory HSV tune from this era that puts out 285kw, even at the flywheel.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I'm not a fan of "flash" tunes, there is way too many variables.

Nothing beats a good dyno tune with a "good" tuner.

Not all tuners are good though, most say they are though.

My view is their shop has alot of racecars getting tuned in, and you need to book in advance, sometimes weeks out, it you should be fine, but, if it only has street cars, well........people who build and actually race typically only go to people who actually know what they are doing and can give you what you want, plus, with a level of safety.

Flash tunes are cheap for a reason.

Me, I'm waiting to see what my VX LS1 auto with 3:91 rear does at WSID, the before dyno had it at 220kwatw with full pacemaker tri-y to dual 2.5" catted, OTR and tune, after a cam and tune the dyno came in at 270kwatw, hopefully the MPH and trap will work out to around that.

#traptimesmatter

Last edited:

LYV Y R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS Ute
Where did you get it from?

Pretty skeptical of mail order tunes or flashes that promise X amount of power, particularly with no dynograph. I don't even think there is a factory HSV tune from this era that puts out 285kw, even at the flywheel.

Tune come with LS1 flash tool I just bought, playing with it to get familiar before I put blower on.
Reckon there was 285kW HSV options at that time.
Had a bit of EFI playing experience, curves on MAP graphs look what I'd expect, but definitely 'doughey' seat of pants, and the stopwatch sez so too. Obviously both not 'legit' tests, but pretty good empirically.

LYV Y R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS Ute
I'm not a fan of "flash" tunes, there is way too many variables.

Nothing beats a good dyno tune with a "good" tuner.

Not all tuners are good though, most say they are though.

My view is their shop has alot of racecars getting tuned in, and you need to book in advance, sometimes weeks out, it you should be fine, but, if it only has street cars, well........people who build and actually race typically only go to people who actually know what they are doing and can give you what you want, plus, with a level of safety.

Flash tunes are cheap for a reason.

Agree, I'm just playing out of interest, and tune shops pretty thin on the ground out here in Emerald, QLD.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I've traveled from Amberley QLD to Menai NSW to get a WRX STI tuned at Pulse Racing.

The tune is the most important part of any build.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Is that a full twin 2.5" cat back exhaust?

I do believe there was a 285kw HSV tune/model so it should be a real thing.

LYV Y R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS Ute
Is that a full twin 2.5" cat back exhaust?

I do believe there was a 285kw HSV tune/model so it should be a real thing.

Good point.
Just checked, and it joins before diff to 3" and out, no rear muffler.
According to pipe flow reference I looked up, 3" good for 340 Hp, which is 255kW, so 'choking' at that.
Would have thought 3" should have covered it, but there you go.
Was planning full twin 3" for blower, but that just got shot. F me, how am I gunna fit 3 1/2 - 4" under low
car, already give 2 1/2 a hard time, lol
Restriction obviously contributes, but would that explain a second slower?
Think I'm gunna put 245 tune back in and go quicker, haha

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
So you don't have headers to go with the tune? The 285kw HSV tunes had tri-y headers which were quite sought after for a bit as they flow pretty well. If you've got a tune not matched with the correct hardware of course it's going to perform like ****.

LYV Y R

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS Ute
So you don't have headers to go with the tune? The 285kw HSV tunes had tri-y headers which were quite sought after for a bit as they flow pretty well. If you've got a tune not matched with the correct hardware of course it's going to perform like ****.