Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

289mm rear brake upgrade

Rocky1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ACCLAIM V6
Hi, I have just upgraded my rear brakes with monaro rear calipers and vented 18mm slotted discs. You have to replace the calipers because they are wider to fit over the disc(Nice red ones). It's straight bolt on replacement (they are the same diameter). I also fitted new slotted to the front and kevlar pads all around. My local brake man said this is more than enough for "normal to spirited driving" and gives about 30-40% better braking. A strange thing! No more brake shudder and the thing actually stops!! The difference is amazing.Holden should have done this to every VY

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
i'm thinking of getting slotted rotors for the front of my vyss and pads, i was going to get brand new rotors from holden and send them off to get slotted then put a set of pads in, was thinking bendix ultimate pads, but what are these cop spec pads, are they better? and what wuld be a good setup for the front and rear, i want to use the standard calipers if possible, but with slotted and maybe cross drilled discs or just slotted front and rear and better pads for braking, its a stock vyss and will only b getting an exhaust and tune, so wont b pushing massive power.

cheers.

knowledge_is_power

Quest for Cognition
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SII V6 A4
A brake upgrade without spending big money is:

Slotted rotors Fronts: 040 Rear: 041
Disc pads in your choice of brand and material, popular pads are Bendix Ultimates (DB1344ULT) or Green stuff
Braided brake hoses

Don’t go cross drilled if it’s a cheaper disc as they are only designed for looks and will crack if punished.
1344 is the Bendix part number for the police pads, to see the difference between a stock 1331 and a 1344 styled disc pads Click Here

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
thanks for that knowledge_is_power, i'll look them up, yeh i'm going to use the standard brake lines and just do the discs and pads.