Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2nd gear revs too high when engine is cold

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
so whenever i first drive my car in the mornings ive noticed that 2nd gear revs alot higher than normal. for example at light throttle when 2nd would usually shift into 3rd at about 40 km/h when warm, it will sit in 2nd to about 55-60 km/h when cold. about a week ago it even got up to 70 before it shifted into 3rd than straight into 4th. i have been driving around with the transmission fluid overfilled a little bit for the past month or so, so i figured this was why the transmission was acting up, but i serviced the transmission last weekend and have made sure the level is correct but its still doing the same thing. is it possible that driving around with overfilled tranny fluid has permanently damaged my 2nd gear or something? after a few minutes of driving the shifts go back to normal, it just happens when the car is dead cold. cheers for any replies

poyter

Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted 3.8lt 5 speed T5 manual VN S2 Commodore
my mass air flow sensor in my car did that to me it didnt change gear about 3500 revs just check that buddy

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
ah true thanks mate ill check it out, could you explain where it is though? lol not too sure

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
On a VP you will be looking for a very long time trying to find a MAF; they don't use one.

The trans problem will probably be a sticking throttle valve, in the trans. valve body. Less likely is a sticking 2-3 shift valve - also in the valve body - or possibly a sticking governor - behind the round cover on the back of the trans..

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
Ah true. Im not very knowledgable about transmissions, are those things easy to do for the home mechanic or should I just leave it to the pro's? Only thing i've ever done with the transmission is take the pan off, change the filter and pan gasket, re-fill the trans fluid and changed the transmission mount, and that was scary enough job for me lol im ok with the engine but got no idea about the transmission