Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.46 Diff

cp993

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SV6 Series ll
hi im looking at purchasing a 3.46 ratio diff for my VZ SV6 Alloytec 190 but wouldnt know where to look ive looked on ebay and im not sure which one to buy any help would be awesome also any info on anyone who's done this already and how they found the difference in acceleration off the line..cheers

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Or an M80. .

jwaye2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ, LN167 Turbo Hilux, VSII Ute
Correct me if im wrong but I think the M78 is VT-VX and M80 is VY-VZ. The diff itself is pretty much the same but the flange is different just a 30mm(ish) nut and can swap the flange over without taking the diff apart.

And to answer your question I went from 3.08 to 3.46 last week and I personally didnt feel much difference tho ive been driving nicely to run it in and havent really tested it out yet. What I did notice is that the same acceleration I used to use to cruise at 100km/h now cruises at about 120-130km/h lol. Got a speeding fine cause I wasnt paying attention :/

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
I was certain the VZ V6's still use the m78 and m80 for v8.

The VZ SV6 Auto is 2.87 ratio, so going from that to 3.46 ratio from what i've heard is a decent upgrade. (depends if auto or manual)

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Isn't the flange on the m80's slightly larger than the m78 so it won't bolt straight up?

Don't think so. I had a diff from a VY SS bolted up to my VX V6 and it was a direct fit. Assuming both have rubber coupling and not the uni-joints.

cp993

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF SV6 Series ll
Don't think so. I had a diff from a VY SS bolted up to my VX V6 and it was a direct fit. Assuming both have rubber coupling and not the uni-joints.

can someone link me to an example of what im looking for? sorry im not real familar with upgrading the diff thats all

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
The larger flange is only used on the HSV VZ LS2 6.0L and later VZ's fitted with the L76/98 6.0L.
The earlier VT2-VZ1 5.7L use the same size flange as all VT2-VZ V6's regardless whether M78 or M80.

The difference shown below with smaller flange on top.