Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3" bimodal options on VFII SS

Moneypit62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
I've recently fitted a 3" DPE catback to my VFII SS and am looking into getting my bimodal option back. This is my daily drive so I want to make it quiet when returning home late or leaving early.

I've been told that you can weld a valve into the rear muffler to retain bimodal but this doesn't make any sense to me as the muffler internals would need to be designed specifically for a valve? (The valved tip is straight through and the other is baffled)
Does anyone know if the DPE (Manta) 3" mufflers are designed in this way?

The other option is to throw the stock mufflers back on and keep the DPE midsection but then I'm putting 2.25" mufflers on a 3" midsection? (seems silly to add a restriction and not sure if the flanges would even line up)
Worth a shot or would that be a waste of time?

Also considered varex mufflers but they're quite expensive and I'm looking for a relatively cheap solution.

H

harrop.senator

Could go varex with electronic control. May be able to set them up with a vacuum solenoid?

moveage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
By the time exhaust gas reaches tunnel brace is a fraction of the temperature and volume at end of primaries. Meaning there is defo no restriction, rather accelerated velocity (scavenging effect) axle back.
So noise good, performance good, and stealth good

Moneypit62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
By the time exhaust gas reaches tunnel brace is a fraction of the temperature and volume at end of primaries. Meaning there is defo no restriction, rather accelerated velocity (scavenging effect) axle back.
So noise good, performance good, and stealth good

I put the stock mufflers back on the other day to test it and found some interesting results.

Stock mufflers with DPE midsection was like a louder version of the stock exhaust. By that I mean it crackled and had the same type of grunt as the stock exhaust but it was just louder in general. (by grunt here I mean higher frequency grunt)
With the valves closed it was like any other car on the road - quiet and boring lol perfect for parking late at night.

DPE mufflers with DPE midsection is a lot deeper and more rumble. The crackles are gone but you can still hear them being muffled - they sound like burbling/rumbling rather than a pronounced crackle/pop.

Overall I feel like the DPE mufflers take away the rowdy character of the stock system but replaces it with a deep rumbling V8.

I find it interesting that the stock mufflers bring the crackles back. It's as if the DPE mufflers are "more muffled" than the stock ones...? But the wider 3" pipes on the DPE mufflers are enabling that deep rumble? Ideally I want the stock mufflers in 3" or something so you get best of both worlds.

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon
Is yours auto or manual?

I Wish

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, Nitrate Silver Wagon