Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3" Exhaust Dented/ pinched will effect preformance? VY ss

adam26101

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VY II SS WAGS!~
hey all, not sure if this is rite section to be posting this.
how ever my Vy ss wags has been hit with bad luck, i was driving along and a truck in front dropped a block of concrete on to the road, i was not able to saftely dodge this obstacle at 70km/ph , so basic question will this effect performance on a stock ls1, but im camming it after Christmas (hence 3" pipe) and would like to know if the dent will compromise performance / back pressure etc..

ive done some research and there's a pipe expanding kit on the interweb for as little as 30 dorra,
or should i goto a exhaust shop and get them to cut and re weld,
or to leave it and stop being a pedantic about my car haha

my thought about it, i am an electrican by trade, and ive learnt that electricty can only flow as well as the smallest cable in the line. is the same case for airflow on a exhaust. it seems logical

pics of the damage throw us some feed back,

20131125_182108.jpg20131125_182131.jpg20131125_182158.jpg20131125_182246.jpg20131125_182219f.jpg

has anyone had experince with this?

oo.PNG

VRStato64

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS II 6 speed
Im no expert but that definitely looks like it would effect performance.

The surface damage will need to be fixed aswell otherwise you will have rust eventually.

That pinch will never be 100% once something goes past its plastic deformation point it cannot return to original state.

Ps. That blows man!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

adam26101

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VY II SS WAGS!~
yea that exhaust is only 2 weeks old spewin,

im thinking of buying that tool and taking her apart.. the applying heat and working it out with that expander tool ,, once done abit of gal paint and i HOPE she 'll be good enough

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
Definitely need to get it sorted buddy. Is your exhaust stainless? If it is I can tell you from experience those expanding tool kits are pretty crap. They are held together with rubber o rings so if you put it into a heated up pipe it stuffs the o rings and they fall apart. My advice would be get an exhaust place to just cut that section out and fit a new one, or do it yourself if you have a grinder and welder?

HoldenMan7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6 SPEED MANUAL
cant u just cut it off (where its dented) and weld another piece of exhaust pipe in its place

adam26101

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VY II SS WAGS!~
Yea Ill just give the expander ago, if fails ill get the guys who are doing my camm to plah with it thabks for feeback people

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
To put it bluntly, the hand expanders and ****. Don't waste your money. You will need to cut it to do it anyway, just have a new piece welded in.

As for performance, you will drop maybe 1-2kW on a dyno, but on the street, you probably wouldn't even notice.

Did you notice any difference after you hit it? I doubt it.

adam26101

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VY II SS WAGS!~
To put it bluntly, the hand expanders and ****. Don't waste your money. You will need to cut it to do it anyway, just have a new piece welded in.

As for performance, you will drop maybe 1-2kW on a dyno, but on the street, you probably wouldn't even notice.

Did you notice any difference after you hit it? I doubt it.
\

yea ive had a better look at it theres a bend before the dent on ones side. and a welded muffler on the other.. so expanders a miss.

i think it slower of the mark. but i could just be thinking things.. however my back fires are alot different. but yea i wont worry about it until i get my cams in.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It will change the note for sure.

If you were going to notice a change in performance, it would have happened the instant you hit the chunk of concrete, not after you noticed the dent.