Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3000Watts In The Boot

HotVS75

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Series 2 VS Calais
That is in no way correct.

There is laws of physics which u need to counteract.

Not every car is the same.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Worst yet...it's a score from the A Nokia mobile phone that had a DB Meter on it.

:rofl: The :king: in fine touch!

dijm8: Fair enough mate, i misinterpreted what you were saying.

Brendan1, you opened this clam! now please post up some verification of your db readings! (and what gear you are running including battery and cables :) Hopefully we can get some interest in dbdrag on here, and as we all have commo's we can make some comparisons between systems without getting caned by them pesky hatches

fnlow1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais '93
World record about a year ago was something like 180dB or something
dont know 100% now tho
Australian record is 162dB a local guys car, hes the boss from pimp my ride so yeah hes got the funding to do it.

im about 5th in aus record at the moment
im pulling 148dB
i dont think ill do anymore about it, kind of getting over that stage. i could get to 2nd holder if i tuned the crossovers to exact and wind up all my amps, but like i said im getting over that stage, i like loud pumping music, just not as serious as comps.

I wasn't going to reply in this thread but it has been annoying me since I read it. You claim to have pulled 148db from your install. Thats ok. But you provide no specific details on how, where, model numbers etc. This in itself I don't have a problem with. But when you place your claims in a public forum for the world to see it leaves an impresion on the people who view your claims. Car audio places such as APS I'm sure have potential customers walk in off the street and expect to drop 5k on their install and hit close to 150 db- what they fail to realise is getting big numbers not only takes big dollars, good installers, the right in car conditions but also tedious hours of testing. More testing. Testing again. Testing and testing.
I feel for you to post up and say you hit 148db in your ride without proof is disrespectful to every installer who has, and is striving to be loud.
Cheers,
Damon.

HotVS75

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Series 2 VS Calais
Well it also comes down to know how, and if u have experience to get a car loud then u can do things on a minimal budget.

I built a car for a customer few weeks back with a single 15" and a single earthquake amp running at 1 ohm so around 1200rms. The box was precision built to take advantage of the cars resonant frequency and all he paid on top of the labour was $500 on the sub and $900 on the amp, plus $200 battery and cabling.

Score 147db

We put an 18" sub in there the other day, dropped the Earthquake D3 down to 0.25 of an ohm and the score went up to 149 db. But at 0.25 of an ohm the amp is making roughly around 3000rms.

So basically with a woofer swap and the right impedance we got 2 db extra which is an astronomical increase. Also doubling of power plus the extra 3" of cone area will yield good results if the base groundwork is in place.

So as i said u need to understand the laws of physics and u can sometimes do things cheap. But to me $5k is cheap, to many many others its not its an expensive hobby.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
We put an 18" sub in there the other day, dropped the Earthquake D3 down to 0.25 of an ohm and the score went up to 149 db. But at 0.25 of an ohm the amp is making roughly around 3000rms.

:eek: 0.25 ohm - HOLY CRAP! :eek:

I'm no great expert, but I didn't think there were any amps which were stable at such a low impedence!

HotVS75

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Series 2 VS Calais
With impedance rise, the amp is not seeing 0.25 of an ohm. D3 are most efficient at that static impedance and make their rated power on it.

The amp wont like that impedance for daily use though thats for sure.