Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 acl inlet manifold gasket.. Confused

Biglachs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx executive and vs s3 ute
So I got my full gasket set today for my engine works for this weekend. The issue that I'm stuck with is why are the water port seals on the intake manifold gasket only going halfway around the port itself shown in the picture below... And also which way do I install the buldges upon installation?

W7Uv7On.jpg

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Done a quick search an from what i can see it looks like it hasn't been made properly all the pics i found that seal bit goes all the way around. As for the bulges (tabs) it will become clear once you place the gasket on the inlet

Biglachs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx executive and vs s3 ute
Done a quick search an from what i can see it looks like it hasn't been made properly all the pics i found that seal bit goes all the way around. As for the bulges (tabs) it will become clear once you place the gasket on the inlet

Cheers for the reply, the strange thing about it is that both the front and rear water ports on both intake gaskets look like this :/ as for the buldges I was actual referring to the seal around the ports how they buldge out in one direction .

Cheers

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Ah ok hmm strange indeed about the seal, As for the bulge sorry not to sure about that one.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
take not on how they go on too, they can fit backwards and cover one port up.

Id suggest putting them on dry, so you can reuse them if you need to remove you inlet manifold again for whatever reason.

LXCHEV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais, VS Berlina & LX Torana
10 years on - time to dig up an old thread!

I'm currently piecing back together a 304 of my own and have come across this exact same scenario as above. Mine's an incomplete project car, that came with brand new (unknown brand) gaskets - see below:

The intake ports all have complete seals (what we'll call the bulges), whereas the water ports have partial seals.

Looking at the positioning of the water ports seals, if they did continue all around the port, they'd end up touching the bolts holes, so to me - this seems quite intentional.

Has anyone else come across these, and happily used them?

I'm thinking a thin smear of sealant around the water ports might be a good idea too? (ultra blue/grey/black whatever)...

304 Intake Gaskets 1.jpg

304 Intake Gaskets 2.jpg

304 Intake Gaskets 3.jpg

LXCHEV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Interestingly, whilst browsing ebay - I found a seller who has listed brand new old stock GMH gaskets (at $190 the pair mind you!) - which look identical.....

304 Intake Gaskets - GMH NOS.JPG

LXCHEV

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm also curious to understand why the rear water ports are blocked off too?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There is no coolant passage at the back of the intake manifold and there isn't on any after market manifolds that I'm aware off so there really isn't much need to cut it out on the gasket. Well that will be the manufacturers argument. However without it cut out it would be exposed to coolant which will soak into it, if the gasket is cut out only the edge is exposed between the manifold and the head which I like the coat with a little RTV to seal it.

The last set I bought (ACL) was just a straight paper gasket with no embossing like you have on the intake ports and partially around the water jacket.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
There is no coolant passage at the back of the intake manifold and there isn't on any after market manifolds that I'm aware off so there really isn't much need to cut it out on the gasket. Well that will be the manufacturers argument. However without it cut out it would be exposed to coolant which will soak into it, if the gasket is cut out only the edge is exposed between the manifold and the head which I like the coat with a little RTV to seal it.

The last set I bought (ACL) was just a straight paper gasket with no embossing like you have on the intake ports and partially around the water jacket.
Last set I bought was Torque Power.
I also don't like them manufactured with rear port blocked, as the air trapped would still be influenced by temperature and obviously the pressure associated with that.
That, and I have the coolant bypass hoses plumbed from those rear ports to the thermostat housing (dash 3 from memory)