Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 coolant leak

Clivevt5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 Vt 5.0 S1 ex police
Hi, I've got a coolant leak coming from behind the timing cover where the crank pulley is and also from where the water pump bolts to the timing cover after recently (within the last 7 days) changing the water pump gasket and yes the water pump bolts are tight, any and all help and info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Changing water pump?

Check water pump nose if leaking from hole there then seal inside is fubar'd which means new water pump.

Tap bolt heads lightly with hammer or centre punch...spray with wd40 & gently try to nudge them loose,maybe work back & forth praying the mofo's come out in one piece

Cracking them instantly with force could snap a bolt if they're seized in there solid.

Clivevt5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 Vt 5.0 S1 ex police
Possible but the water pump is not even 12 months old and if it was leaking from there then wouldn't coolant go all over everything while engine is running? It only leaks when engine is off but cooling system still under pressure.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Exactly the same problem I had on my VT 304, just a couple of weeks ago.
It would only leak when the engine was off and seemed to be coming from behind the crank pully.
Turned out to be coming from the weap hole on the pump and it's very hard to see, unless you have a little inspection mirror.
When it comes out of there, it means the seal is screwed in the pump. It so happens, that the weap hole is just above and behind the crank pully. I know you said the pumps only 12 months old, but crap happens I'm afraid.

Clivevt5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 Vt 5.0 S1 ex police
Ok so it's more than likely the water pump itself which would be causing the coolant leak from behind the crank pulley? What about where the pump bolts to the timing cover itself? Still leaking after changing the gasket and applying a thin layer of sealant just in case, I also noticed what appeared to be 'grooves' or 'ridges' on the timing cover, would that mean no matter how much sealant I used it'd still leak from the water pump gasket? Might need another timing cover altogether if irreparable...

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If it's too corroded or damaged may need to change whole thing.

Usually just giving eveything a good clean then checking surfaces nice & flat all you'll need is light coat of gasket goo.

Post a pic of it.

Clivevt5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 Vt 5.0 S1 ex police
I'll start with replacing the water pump then go from there, if it needs a new timing cover then it needs it.

I'll post a pic when I've got the old water pump off, not pulling it off to take a snap then put a old pump back on and still leak...

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Make sure that the clamps and the heater hoses on the water pump are in good condition and that the clamps are nice and tight. Coolant can leak from there and appear to be coming from anywhere on the water pump, timing cover or radiator hose. I've been bitten by this problem previously.

Clivevt5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 Vt 5.0 S1 ex police
I've replaced the hoses and clamps about two weeks ago and have made sure they are tight, I do understand what you're saying though.