Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 exhaust help.

VL'NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 Holden Vl Commy
Hi just bought a vr ss, ANd want to get an exhaust i want to run headers and twin pipes rite out to the back. To twin tips. There may already be something on here about this but cant find it. i want to know whether if i run twin 3 inch mandrel bent system or 2 1/2 what will be best i want it LOUD! but performance at the same time i was planning on going 3 inch but now i got all these goons talking **** and dont know what to get any help will be appreciated cheers Jake.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
extractors, single 2.5, highflow cat, one good muffler... this is a proven all round setup, still retains great performance all thru the rev range and can sound great with a quality muffler. had this on my VN and made plenty of power

twin 2.5 gives you scope for more mods in the future. Probably not the most ideal performance wise as a stock 304 can lose a bit of bottom end grunt. But they sound great. Biggest hurdle with a full twin though is the price, as you are pretty much paying for x2 cat back systems. can get expensive for pretty much just a sound (on a stocker that is).

Single 3 inch is a good cheapish option as you dont have to change cats/ pipe configuration. The shop will simply plumb a new pipe from the cat back. and with a good muffler will sound great!

twin 3 inch is way overkill if you're not going major internals or FI. would probably sound pretty killer, but i'd say it would go like a slug.

personally, i went for a twin 2.5, twin cats, into single 3 inch with one muffler in the middle. Sound way tougher and deeper than the single 2.5, yet maintains similar performance as opposed to before. Prob just a fraction slugish down low. I did this change purely for the sound, and cause the replacement system was only $120 second hand in vgc

VL'NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 Holden Vl Commy
Yeah i wont run cats dont need them over here in NZ. Cheers for the help

HSV802

Reaction score
Members Ride
RIP HSV Senator. Current 2002 VX2 HSV Clubsport.
Hey on my old VR Senator i had pacemaker headers with the y pipe (got from sedgins) and i brought a Rage 3inch exhaust from auto bend in Christchurch over the net, i then extended the exhaust to replace the cat and had the front muffler replaced with a coby i think all up cost about $1700 for headers, exhaust and modding it. Sounded good and was a deep sound. Good luck

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I do a twin 2 1/2" system for it, but I'm in WA....shipping would be a killer to NZ.