Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 experts PLEASE HELP!!

jonboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive s2 v6
ok so i have got a set of genuine plugs from holden they are GM T20EPR-U
ill install them later on this afternoon hopefully, after i check the gaps (have to go borrow a gauge)
they are made by DENSO apparently this is the same manufacter of ngk. they have holden genuine part on them.
fingers crossed

jonboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive s2 v6
the new plugs made it run worse!!!
it hunts ans misses constantly now? ill pull them all out in the morning when it has fully cooled down and check everything again. but im positive its the distributor now, itl be coming out and geting tested this week,
i cant understand why the correct plugs would make it worse thou?

jonboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive s2 v6
ok so i removed the plugs this morning again and checked the gaps (i ended up not checking them yesterday as i was later told they had been pregapped) and they were set at .7 so i reset them to 1mm and runs 100 times better no more hunting! it still has a miss tho.
i ended up seeing my mechanic mate up town and he came around and reset the timing for my to 10 degrees, so we are wondering if the distributor is turning by itself somehow? and altering the timing.
i think i am going to get the wires all checked before i pull the distributor for checking next
also get a leakdown/compresion test done i think maybe

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Comp test along with a vacuum test means no more guessing.
Smart move to check the leads too.

jonboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive s2 v6
update
so the vt has been at the garage for a week now, the distributor/coil and ignition module were removed and tested the ignition module had a few dry solder conections is all they could find. all was refitted today and timing reset to 10 degrees.
and bugger it it still has the miss.
ill be taking it bake to get the wires mentioned in the attached file checked next.
its getting a bit annoying now we seem to be not getting very far.

jonboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive s2 v6
sounds good but im in nz so a bit far away.
i have had a lone of a mint ignition module and it hasnt made a differance. i have also anaged to track down a good second hand dizzy so will be trying to get my hands on that asap.
after quit a bit of reserch it apears that genuine parts are the way to go but there are no new dizzys availab.
what did you have in mind?

capitalgainz

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 berlina gen3
run a .8 gap, get a better mechanic, if a mechanic cant fix the issue first time he looks at it he is shite, its a 304 and has been around since the dawn of time, its a Australian car through and through, all aussie mechs should know them back to front unless you have an indian working on the car, the issue should be resolved, have you put the old equipment back in to see if it fixes the issue? who installed all this? check all the connections and make sure its all secure 8/10 times some knob has bumped a connector and thats when things go wrong, my old ladies vx went into the mt compass mechanic, he used the wrong tools to replace a fuel filter, he managed to rip the fuel lines out of the tank, she had to pay 250 for a fuel line and installed, had a miss at idle.

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR V8 Exec
Fault Code #49

Anyway, changing parts and setting a 0.8 spark gap ain't going to fix a Code #49 problem and the associated misfires it produces, and as for the comment about the mechanic not being any good if he can't solve it.... well, Holden themselves know about this problem and can't solve it so how is a standard run-of-the-mill mechanic going to fix it!
What you need to be to solve this problem is a physisist and an electronics engineer together; mechanics doesn't come into it. (I'm the first two, not the later).
Yes, these Commodores have been around for years but so has the Code #49 problem and some people have spent in excess of $1000 trying to solve it. Others have given their advice: "just sell your car". The fault can suddenly appear after years in a running car after something is changed. One of my customers had a new alternator installed and suddenly got this problem. He went changing parts. Got down to the ignition module and bought one of mine which made the matter worse. I solved it soon afterwards and believe I might be the very first person to do so.
I don't think I can send attachments through this site (only been a member for a matter of days) but, jonboy:- if you message me privately with your email address I can send you the info to fix it. It's a $2 fix!
Hey NZ! That's where I was born.
Cheers!

capitalgainz

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 berlina gen3
im not going to get into an argument about whos dicks bigger or whos engine does what while im ####ing someones mum while she calls me charlie.....
code 49 appears to be
Code 49 - Cam / Crank Shaft Signal Intermittent, so why do you need a physisist....
and if no one knows how to fix it but you do, why dont you do a write up and get it sticky-ed for everyone to see
or are you just some special gay #### hiding **** for no reason?
im an automotive engineer, i have a degree and have been working on all sorts of cars since i was a kid, granted if the cars not here i cant fix it, just giving up ideas, further more my answer is yes, if a mechanic i take a car to cannot find an issue the first time he has it and cannot rectify it he is a wanker and should not be working on push bikes let alone cars...
good luck though mate