Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 hunting after installing KN filter.

304VKCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Calais 304
Hi so I have replaced my panel air filter with a brand new K&N panel filter and now my engine is hunting when stopped at lights or in neutral. It’s bad enough that it will stall if I don’t keep the revs up. When driving it seems normal. Any help would be appreciated. I have driven for about 15-20 minutes with no change. Thought maybe the ecu needs to learn new air flow level or something?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
A filter won't change the airflow that much. Tried it with the stock filter back in?

304VKCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Calais 304
A filter won't change the airflow that much. Tried it with the stock filter back in?
Nope... I threw it out and the bin has already been picked up so it’s gone! Maybe oil from the filter has dirtied a sensor?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
It shouldn't do that at all with simple filter change.

Either something got unplugged or accidently tapped or it's developed vacuum leak somewhere.

304VKCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
84 VK Calais 304
I just got back from and drive after checking everything. All was back to normal. Maybe the filter was to oily from factory and had to clear out a bit? Who knows. Thanks all!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Light coating of oil on filter is ok,meant to keep filter servicable.

Can't be any worse than what oil gets sprayed into throttle body & manifold via pcv