Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 304 knocking

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
#304 knocking

hello all.

just finished installing a new clutch fan and ditching the thermo setup that my 304 had last night.
went out today after work and went to test how it would go.all was running good until after around
2 minutes of letting the car warm up she had started to run what sounded like 5/6 cyl and also#
knocking . I couldn't isolate wither it was from the left or right bank as it wouldn't run long enough for me to have a suss.

what are peoples thoughts?it wasn't your normal lifter tapping it was a louder knocking like a couple blocks of timber tapping together.

also oil pressure was around 300/400kpa on cruising speed.im yet to wire up an autometer oil pressure gauge and re check
the issue.

cheers guys in advance.

profat

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt olympic model
could be bearings rod or main could be broken rocker arms bent push rods seized lifters

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Was it happening before the fan conversion?... Im guessing not

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That is really weird and yet somehow familiar.

I had a water pump go on the Senator. When I put a new pump on it had a knocking noise in the engine. took the fan belt off and the noise stopped. Put it back together a 2nd time the noise didn't come back?

I thought I may have damaged something as it did loose a lot of coolant but it hasn't done it again since.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
before I installed the clutch fan the thermo fans **** themselves and the car temp went up to the line before red.

installed clutch fan and ran the car.was strong like always not hard to start etc.ran for at least two or three mins whilst checking if the fan and shroud was ok and walking around checking the exhaust etc wasn't dumping heeps of **** on my floor.i then pulled the revs up to about 1500rpm then all of a sudden ran on no more then 6cyl and started to knock.

today I popped of the rocker covers.all looked normal nothing bent or broken . I then took of coil lead and cranked it.all looked ok in top end.i then removed clutch fan and restarted car and knocked . I also had a look at harmonic balancer it was ok by what I could see by my eyes.

needles to say I was not expecting this to happen the engine itself was very strong . I actually said to a mate every time I buy a vl v8 I have issues and I think im correct lol.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Could you have maybe shorted something when you wired up the fans?

Might have upset the wiring and some injectors not firing or something, could be something simple.

This probably wouldn't explain the knock but it would explain the problems

Seems to coincidental that you have damaged the motor on the first start after fitting some fans.

Have you tried dropping all the belts and running the engine to rule out any accessories being the culprit?

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
its carby 304.

I can drop the belts after and have a look.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
not good.done a comp test and one cylinder down 100psi.heres the plug on the right from that cylinder.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Bugger, looks like the earth strap is sitting on the electrode?

Time for the head to come off.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
yep time for the head to come off im spewin.hope theres something worth saving.i really wanted to just keep this eng in it