Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 304 knocking

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Damn that sux. Id be spewin.
Hopefully no major destruction inside

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
hopefully not much damage.

but I spoke to an eng builder today and if worst comes to worst im going to be dropping the 350 crank, rods and pistons, vn heads from my other motor into the vl 304 engine.

so he said $200 to clearance it etc.and he will measure all components etc for nothing so happy with that.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
i thought ill keep updating this for future googlers in search of a similar issue.i know how annoying it is to google stuff and no one ever comes back with the answer to there problem.

although i have not pulled that cyl head off just yet i did put a little inspection camera down for a look.no broken piston or valves floating around or even porcelain from that plug.is it possible that porcelain has got stuck behind valve ad when piston came up has bent the valve?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The porcelain will have shot out the exhaust. We had a bore crack and piece about 4cm break off a piston on a 355 and when the head came off, no sign of the piece of piston.

The best thing to do is whip the manifold and the heads off for a look.

$200 to clearance the block? I did it in about half an hour with 5" angle grinder on a 308 block. Not hard.

One thing I did to help the oiling issue when building the 355 was to drill an extra hole into number 1 cam journal into the opposite lifter gallery and die grind a groove between the two holes, and when you fit the cam bearing, fit it so the oil hole is straight up at 12 o'clock. This fills the lifter galleries more evenly rather than having to fill one side first, then filling the other side through number 4 cam journal.

*EDIT* This is the amount that has to come off the block for a stroker.

Last edited:

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
cheers.not much has to come off.

well I still never pulled the cyl head off.i was still not 100% on the head has to come off idea.

so had a good mate come around and suss it out.i better put on a decent oil pressure gauge as we ran it 3 or 4 times at short periods of time and not once did we get oil up the top at all.

he said it was more of a clatter coming from all lifters not a knocking(im used to hearing the ticking of one noisy lifter not 16)not a knocking.his speed boat done the same thing.
but whys the comp down? collapsed lifter leaving valve open maybe.

so I think my mext port of call is replace oil pump and lifters and see what happens?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I had a mate's RB VL do the same to a plug once, the piece put a hundred small dents in the piston and head.
We opened it up, replaced the gasket, made sure the crap was gone and put it back together. It ran good ever since as far as I know.

I think that if you are down on Compression, you should whip the head off and inspect the valves and valve seats for damage, also inspect the bore for scoring.
Actually, maybe a leak-down test first may answer some questions.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
true.i had a small camera down in there.no obvious damage but still a leak down test would do.but I still better check for oil pressure

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
True, mine were I beams.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Yeah mine was approximately clearanced that much on several rods. Mine are H beams with 3/8 arp studs....its a vr/vs block which I was lead to believe they already had stroker clearancing from factory..oh well nothin a die grinder couldn't fix.