Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 V8 Ignition Problems 'n' Fixes

stuntmanmike

Car wotsit & stuff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 V6 Auto / VS BT1 5.0 / VY SV8
G'day fellow JC'ers.

We've been having a few problems with the BT1 and thought we'd share some of the learnings.
Firstly we found the car would not start at all and it turned out that the ignition module needed to be replaced. Did that and replaced the ignition coil too for good measure (and relocated it).

A few weeks back, the car was reliable and then started to show signs similar to the faulty ignition module. Had spark, started when fuel was squirted down the TB, and it just wouldn't start normally. Bridged pins 5 & 6 and indicated a code 46 (Hall Effect Sensor signal not detecting). Took it to a local auto sparky who was commissioned to change out the distributor. Now the fun starts (not!)...
After they did the work I drove it back home and found it sluggish. Started to think it was something with the LPG system so deicide to check that. Nothing much here. Gave the keys to the Missus and she let me know the car wasn't running so good and would occasionally backfire or stall. Ok. I had a look. The air box was blown apart and broken. Great! Just great.

1st step: Checked the ignition timing on idle. 4 degrees A (wtf?)
2nd step: checked spark plug gap and set at 8mm for LPG. Ok.
3rd step: found no.4 spark plug lead broken at the spark plug connection (wtf? who did this?)
4th step: had to change the spark plug leads and found that the distributor cap had only one clip holding it down (aarrggh! wtf? bluddy sparky)
Did all that with 9mm leads. Still backfiring and stalling. Low on power too. Bit better than before though.
5th step: timing light, bridge pins 5 & 6, check timing: 10 degrees ATDC (Grrrr! wtf?). I set the base timing at 10 degrees BTDC (A) and wow! Moved it further to 14 degrees BTDC and now we're cooking!!!! Took it for a spin and it ran better than ever. Missus is happy and my temper is aimed at the auto sparky that took our hard earned and stuffed up the job.
This is what I worked out: the dumfek auto-sparky didn't check what was done before handing me the keys. They didn't clip the distributor cap down with both spring clips and set the timing 10 degrees the wrong way. I called them to let them know what I had found and I managed to stay calm and collective during my explanation. The manager (?) of the shop told me that the spring clips come off by themselves and offered to replace the airbox. He's a dolt! There is no way I'm letting these useless dolts get near any of my cars or even sniff my wallet ever again. And to think I was going to commission my race car for them to wire up...
Anyway, I work full-time and don't like spending evenings or weekends getting greasy. Trouble is I hardly have the time. I've learnt how to loosen and set the distributor for accurate base timing, change the spark plug leads and a few other things that I haven't done before on an injected EFI motor. Easy as. I'll think twice before going to some local approved shop.
Distributor bolt: 14mm or 9/16" ring spanner (the shorter the better). Get to it from the side of the rear firewall on the drivers side. Not too hard - just be careful on your back.
8mm gap on the spark plugs is good for LPG.
14 degrees base timing is good for LPG and be sure to run 95 octane fuel in the petrol tank or you can experience the dreaded pinging (pre-detonation).
Each increment on the timing marks near the harmonic balancer is 2 degrees with the long lines marking 10 degrees.
A = advanced which means the spark is earlier than top dead centre (TDC)
R = retarded which means the spark is "delayed" after TDC
Factory base timing is 10 degrees BTDC = 10 A on the harmonic balancer with pins 5 & 6 bridged and a good timing light.
I hope that no one else experiences the pain of dealing with shoddy "experts". I know they won't be getting any business soon from my word of mouth. At least he didn't advise for me to check the head light fluid and bring it in to tune the radio...

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
Best tell us who did the bodge job so we can avoid them like tha plauge

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
best tell us who did the bodge job so we can avoid them like tha plauge

yep and then he has to reply to every one who wants to know,1 by 1/? Mate if the guy who did the bodge job runs a bizz hes already in the public eye anyway, and if hes bodgy every 1 should know?,so saying who it is in here aint no big deal, look at what today tonight and a current affare do to scammers on the tv and omg thats more than in the piblic eye.so i say put the bodgy rats bizz details here so no one else gets srewed over. Stuff telling me privately.tell the whole forum

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
if everyone that made one #### up was named and shamed there wouldnt be mechanics. you can get sued for that crap if they find out

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
KRISP Shhhhhhhhhhhhh now your stalking lol AND HOW DO YOU KNOW HE MADE 1 MISTAKE(YOU DONT),POST THE NAME I SAY( TO SAVE OTHERS)

stuntmanmike

Car wotsit & stuff
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 3.8 V6 Auto / VS BT1 5.0 / VY SV8
No problem folks: - Services
I wouldn't take a flashlight to these d!cks for a globe replacement. RAA Approved Repairer = bend over with your wallet in hand.
Others can make their own judgement based on their experience with this business (whether positive or negative).
My friends and family will not go there based on my opinion and my wife is not happy that they did a half assed job on our car. It would have been more cost effective if I did the work on our car right from the get go. Live and learn...

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I think all of us have had bad experiences such as you have described. It's very frustrating to pay over your hard earned money to someone you believe is an experienced professional only to find out they do a worse job than you could have done yourself if you had the right tools. It seems that they can only stay in business if they keep getting new customers (who are now aware of their lack of competence) into their premises. Their web site looks very professional, it's a pity that their competence in the services they supposedly provide doesn't match. Having said that, the services that a company provides is only as good as the skills and experience of the people they employ, and this changes over time as people leave. The key to running a successful services company is to have the right people with the right knowledge/experience working for you (and treating them properly) and ensuring that a quality result is produced at the end of the day. This seems to happen only rarely in the automotive sector. Just my 2c.