Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 vk bt1

P

Pav

Here is my VK V8 that I bought to use as a daily driver.
Anyway here are the specs:

Model: VK
Colour: Red
Engine Type: 4.9L V8 (LV2)
Engine Mods: None
Power: Unknown
Exhaust: 2.5 inch, standard manifold
Gearbox: Trimatic
Diff: LSD
Brakes: Disk brakes all round.
Suspension: FE2
Wheels/Tyres: 14s
Interior: Stock

I need to replace the carby cos it is stuffed, should I just buy a recond quadrajet or something else?

Future plans are just to get upgraded brakes, then maybe later on I'll throw in a mild cam when I get the engine rebuilt.

Here are some pics

Last edited by a moderator:

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
look on the model code on the build plate, should say 8VK69-BT1. The diffs are a 10 bolt sals, if its factory V8.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Nice... looks pretty clean.

I would stick with the quady if its a street car. But thats my opinion caus I like fuel economy and think you can still get plenty of power from a well tuned carby.

vee ka

Reaction score
Members Ride
'85 HDT VK SS, '03 Liberty GT, '06 Forester XT
looks like a neat car, good condition.

stick with the Rochester, they are an excellent carbie

P

Pav

Yeah I have already ordered a rebuilt quaddy from ebay, but in future will I have to modify it or get a new carby when I increase the power? For eg I am planning to get extractors, better intake manifold, 286 cam etc.

Paid 1400 for it too

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Yeah I have already ordered a rebuilt quaddy from ebay, but in future will I have to modify it or get a new carby when I increase the power? For eg I am planning to get extractors, better intake manifold, 286 cam etc.

Also forgot to mention I paid $1400 for this beauty :)

As said above id be sticky with the quady. Its a great carby and can still make plenty of power, and can be jetted up. The holleys etc are a race carby, I would never use one on a street car, chews way to much petrol for a small benefit.

P

Pav

Awesome, quaddy all the way then.

I really need to give it a clean and then first thing is to sort out the suspension/brakes/diff.
I will probably take out the 10 bolt LSD and put it aside for the rally VK and I'm gonna put in a shortened VN diff with minispool/3.9s into this VK.

As for suspension, Lovells + KYB all round and maybe a white line swaybar with H/duty links, urethane bushes all round etc.

Engine rebuild will come later on, maybe next year, cos I'll need to save money for it and I wanna spend some on my rally project too.

Also, what do you guys reckon if I paint the bumpers red, and then get a group a grille and paint that red as well? I reckon it would make it look way tuffer, just gotta get someone to match the paint cos I have no idea what it is (Its had a respray)