Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

308 into 202 vh

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
may be purchasing a good condition running registered vh for 1500 and just wanted to know whats needed to put a 308 into it if there is a thread already describing this feel free to direct me

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
it's relatively easy - I did it with my last VH.
Wiring is easy, simply unplug the 6 cylinder harness from the firewall plugs on the drivers side, and plug the V8 harness in.
308 literally drops straight in, just need to use V8 engine mounts.
fit a V8 radiator
gearbox mount/cross member, depending on what transmission you are going to use
If you haven't already got rear disc brakes, then you need to upgrade. Also need to use a brake master cylinder to suit disc rear or you risk dragging the rear brakes.

that fairly much covers it.

kego

Reaction score
Members Ride
custom vk Calais
you will need :

motor
box
starter/m
alternator
fuel pulp
carby
tail shaft
lsd diff (if you don't have one)
complete exhaust
v8 brakes
v8 springs
wiring
radiator
box cross member
engine mounts

just all that type of stuff but you have to factor in things like are going to put a kit through the carby ? $60 -100
air filter ? $80-$250
fuel fittings ? as much as you like if you want but not that much for basic stuff
gaskets for engine and exhaust ? $5-$150
leads? $80 -$150
plugs ?$30-$120
tuning ?$200-$400 if you cant tune it
power steering lines ? shouldn't cost much
are you going to run air con ? lots and lots lol
you rpm will be out ? auto metre tacho $600 but you can get one allot cheaper lol

i prob forgot things but you get the picture

there are heaps of little things but its not that hard if you know what you are doing or have some mates that's can help you out.

i will add that you can do it the quick way or the right way once lol its up to you what you do at the time

you can do this a hell of allot cheaper than what i have said above but if you don't have contacts and don't know the right places to go the prices above are what you COULD pay.
hope that helps you out mate

Last edited:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
LSD isn't necessary, was only ever standard on select models like the SS. If you already have a disc brake rear, then no need to change it over. The 4.2L used the same diff as the 6cyl disc brake models. However the smaller diff won't take much punishment from a 5L so a 10 bolt diff is a worthwhile consideration.

As for tailshaft, it just depends what transmission you are using. From memory the trimatic sits in the same position in which case you can use the same shaft. If upgrading to a 10 bolt diff, you will need the larger yoke tailshaft.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
try doing this:
search.jpg

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
--deleted--

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
u try making the search smart ass

settle down, this has been answered before, just don't just try searching one thing, search for v8 vh, there is someone on this forum that has all you need to know about EFI 5L in vk's in their sig, ask him, thats close enough to it.

just keep searching around and you'll find it..

vkcommo

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
settle down, this has been answered before, just don't just try searching one thing, search for v8 vh, there is someone on this forum that has all you need to know about EFI 5L in vk's in their sig, ask him, thats close enough to it.

just keep searching around and you'll find it..

vkcommo

i searched all the key words possible on these forums and in google i couldnt find anything hence saying if someone has a link feel free to send it to me otherwise i was in need of the information