Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

350 chevy Into VN

NZVK308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK sold.. VN3.8 and VX aclaim
Anyone done this conversion?? If not i'll let ya's know how mine go's....

slo_firo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ute
we had a factory 283 vb wagon from South Africa, Put a 350 with tunnel ram ect.....

Another guy in our club had a vb Aussie model,

Ours was piss easy - it had skinnier (reinforced) chassis rails and the K frame had mounts further forward than the standard ones,

Also ran a steering box that was up on the firewall and an arm to the passenger side kind of an hq setup rather than the rack setup of an aussie model

The problem is the chev starter is in the way, The steering rack comes to close, oil filter is on wrong side ect..... The guy in our club had a spacer each side between the chassis and k frame to lift the body up - messy and ugly way to do it,

also spacers in the top of each strut tower

so much more room in there with a chev - holdens 5l is a very wide engine

NZVK308

Reaction score
Members Ride
yes i know the holden is a wider engine i've had heaps of them...hence my reason switching to chev,(something different and cheaper and easier for parts,with good power to weight ratio) my question is has anyone done the chev VN conversion before..Oil filter isnt a great issue with remote filter kits now readily available...

NZVK308

Reaction score
Members Ride
couldnt get any pictures there... i'm talking about old school small block 350 not the LS 1.. i'm picking the mounts as such would be pretty much the same then? use a LS 1 sump or convert?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's nothing to do with the LS1 but it can be done. You can buy mounts and everything you need from CRS but it would want to have at least vortec heads to be worth the effort over just using a 304. The original 350s with their dodgy old heads are just for scrap metal these days

NZVK308

Reaction score
Members Ride
so you think i'd be better rebuild the old 308 i already have using VN onwards style heads....